This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6368 / 52°38'12"N
Longitude: -1.2274 / 1°13'38"W
OS Eastings: 452379
OS Northings: 304619
OS Grid: SK523046
Mapcode National: GBR 8MB.NHW
Mapcode Global: WHDJ9.3ZSF
Entry Name: Kirby Muxloe Castle
Listing Date: 23 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188965
Location: Kirby Muxloe, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9
Civil Parish: Kirby Muxloe
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Kirby Muxloe St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 50 SW,
Kirby Muxloe Castle
Ruins of castle. Begun 1480 for William, Lord Hastings, who was beheaded June
1483 leaving most of the construction incomplete. Narrow red brick with diapering
and figured ornament in blue headers; some stone dressings. No roofs. Rectangular courtyard plan with towers projecting at corners and centres of each side.
Surrounded by a moat. Only gatehouse at centre of north west side and west tower
ever neared completion; remainder survives only in plan marked by foundations
and low base walls. Foundations of earlier manor house are visible in courtyard.
Gatehouse is of 2 storeys, with chambers flanking central entrance, large chamber
above, and octagonal corner towers. To either side are the beginnings of spur
walls of side ranges. Chamfered stone plinth with stone gunports above; chamfered
stone string at first floor level. Large central gateway of moulded stone with
4-centred arch and ashlar panel above, all recessed behind slot for portcullis.
Remainder of lower storey is blind on north front. Upper storey has 2 stone
mullion and transom windows to main chamber each window with pair of arched lights
in rectangular moulded surround. Central blind rectangular niche in carved stone
surround, flanked by initials WH in blue header brick. Upper chambers of towers
have single lights with arched heads and moulded surrounds. Walls of towers
carry blue header motifs including a sleeve, a ship and a man. Courtyard front
of gatehouse has 2-light stone windows flanking stone archway, and fragments
of upper windows. Towers on this side have doorways with 4-centred stone arch-
ways to spiral staircases lit by single lights with depressed arches and double
chamfered brick surrounds. Staircases have fine helical brick vaults. Lower
chambers have brick barrel vaults, with vaulted garderobes in north towers.
Inner doorways have depressed arches of chamfered brick. Similar surrounds to
fireplaces. Upper part of north east tower converted to dovecote. West tower
is 3 storeys high with taller square turret projections on north east and south
east sides, the former with spiral staircase. Plinth, gunports and strings as
on gatehouse; also battlements. Stone windows with arched lights, each chamber
with a 2-light window to either north west or south west, and single lights to
Scheduled Ancient Monument No 3. In care of English Heritage.
(DOE guide, Kirby Muxloe Castle, by Sir Charles Peers, 1957 and 1983).
Listing NGR: SK5237904619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings