History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fyrse Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke St. Mary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9958 / 50°59'44"N

Longitude: -3.0505 / 3°3'1"W

OS Eastings: 326375

OS Northings: 122347

OS Grid: ST263223

Mapcode National: GBR M3.KH0Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 46HH.3D8

Entry Name: Fyrse Cottage

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177225

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270918

Location: Stoke St. Mary, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Stoke St. Mary

Built-Up Area: Stoke St Mary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Thorn Falcon

Listing Text

STOKE ST MARY CP
ST22SE
STOKE ST MARY VILLAGE

5/129 Fyrse Cottage

25.2.55

GV II

Cottage. C16, dated 1658, refenestrated early C20. Rendered over rubble, thatched roof, double Roman tiles to single
storey garage adjoining, brick stacks gable ends and to left of cross passage. L-plan. 3-cell and cross passage,
addition at rear, garage right. One and a half storeys, 2:2 bays, C20 leaded metal windows first floor, 3-light
mullioned and transomed windows with gabled tops in outer bays, 3-light casements beside, all rising from below eaves,
ground floor left large 2-light Ham stone mullioned windows, chamfered with runout stops, 3-light casement left of
entrance, another Ham stone mullioned 3-light casement beyond, double garage doors, chamfered square headed doorway,
studded plank door with long hinges, possibly C17, above date stone inscribed Thomas Fyrse 1658. Interior: cross
passage wall right rebuilt timber partition, chamfered beam with scroll stops to former kitchen, chamfered lintel to
fireplace said to have evidence of former bacon curing chamfer, left cross passage wall refaced in stone, timber framed
corridor wall at rear with brick infill, 3-light octagonal mullioned window on rear wall, lateral beams to hall and
west end room. Upper storey said to contain evidence of jointed cruck roof. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, February 1974
and January 1975).


Listing NGR: ST2637522347

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.