History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Number 438 (Belvedere Bridge)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Uffington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7083 / 52°42'29"N

Longitude: -2.7126 / 2°42'45"W

OS Eastings: 351948

OS Northings: 312526

OS Grid: SJ519125

Mapcode National: GBR BL.2DVP

Mapcode Global: WH8BV.96J3

Entry Name: Bridge Number 438 (Belvedere Bridge)

Listing Date: 3 April 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177239

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259294

Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Uffington

Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Uffington Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shrewsbury

Listing Text

SJ 51 SW
SJ 5194 1253 UFFINGTON C.P. -

3/68 Bridge No.438
3/4/85 (Belvidere Bridge)
(that part in
Uffington C.P.)

- II*

Railway bridge. Dated 1848, William Baker engineer; restored and
slightly altered in 1984. Chamfered rusticated grey sandstone ashlar
piers, engineering brick retaining walls and end piers with ashlar
dressings, and painted cast iron arches and decking. 2 segmental skew
arches, each consisting of 6 cast ribs with lattice spandrels; central
pier with rounded rock-faced cutwater; coped curved retaining walls
and square end piers with rock-faced ashlar quoins and stone caps;
late C20 balustrade replacing 1848 one. Maker's plate on eastern
arch to south: "CAST AT COALBROOKDALE FOUNDRY 1848"; shield-shaped
plaques on central pier to south: "WILLIAM BAKER ESQ/ENGINEER/1848",
and to north: "HAMMOND AND MURRAY/CONTRACTOR/1848". There are also
datestones on the railway side of the parapets to the central pier.
Each of the ribs is made up from short cast sections bolted together.
The Shrewsbury to Oakengates section of the Shrewsbury and Birmingham
Railway was opened on June 1st, 1849 and the whole of the line to
Wolverhampton on November 12th of the same year. The original estimate
for the bridge was £80,000, and it was formerly numbered 4 on the
Shrewsbury-Wellington Line. The bridge spans the River Severn. Rex
Christiansen, A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain,
Vol.7 The West Midlands, David and Charles (1983), Pp.80-95; Richard
K. Morriss, Railways of Shropshire: a brief history, Shropshire
Libraries (1983), Pp.17-23 and p.72 (i11.); Shropshire Railway
Society, Shropshire Railways Revisited, Shropshire Libraries (1982),
i11.26.

Listing NGR: SJ5194812526

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.