History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9712 / 52°58'16"N

Longitude: -2.6856 / 2°41'8"W

OS Eastings: 354052

OS Northings: 341756

OS Grid: SJ540417

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JVHX

Mapcode Global: WH89H.QLB2

Entry Name: Old School House

Listing Date: 1 May 1951

Last Amended: 1 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260585

Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban

Built-Up Area: Whitchurch (Shropshire)

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

Listing Text

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. BARGATES (north-east
SJ 5441
SJ 54050 41756 side)
8/33 No. 13 (Old School House)
1.5.51 [Formerly listed as
Grammar School (detached
house adjoining
Higginson's Almshouses)]
GV II*

Schoolhouse, now disused. Dated 1708. Red brick with painted grey sandstone
ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. One storey and attic. Plinth with
moulded stone top, chamfered stone quoins, wooden modillion eaves cornice, and
parapeted gable ends with shaped stone kneelers and stone coping. Integral
brick end stacks, that to left consisting of 3 square shafts with chamfered
corners and stone base and cap. Pair of dormers with 2-light wooden
casements, wooden cills on small wooden brackets and steep triangular-
pedimented gables with dentils. 2:1:2 bays; central quoined break has steep
triangular pediment with dentils. Wooden cross windows with moulded stone
cills and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Central mid-C19 half-
glazed 4-panelled door with bolection moulded stone architrave and early C19
returned hoodmould. Moulded stone tablet above door, inscribed: "SCHOOL /
FOUNDED BY / JANE HIGGINSON / MDCCVIII". Gabled rear wing: 2-light
wooden attic casement and 2 ground-floor wooden cross windows with segmental
relieving arches. Interior:; c.1708 dog-leg oak staircase with closed string,
splat balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts with moulded caps.
C18 boarded door beneath stairs with H-L hinges. Whitchurch grammar school
was founded in 1548 by the Rev. John Talbot (opened 1550). This building
dates from 1708 and was latterly used as the infants school. Further
buildings (q.v.) were added to the east in 1848 and 1926, but the school has
since amalgamated and moved to another site. B.O.E., p. 314; R.B. James,
Whitchurch - A Short History (1979), p. 9.


Listing NGR: SJ5405141757

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.