This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5841 / 52°35'2"N
Longitude: -2.7748 / 2°46'29"W
OS Eastings: 347600
OS Northings: 298757
OS Grid: SO476987
Mapcode National: GBR BH.B9JZ
Mapcode Global: WH8CD.B9XT
Entry Name: The Pound Inn and Attached Barn
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Last Amended: 7 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259598
Location: Leebotwood, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Leebotwood
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Leebotwood
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 4698-4798 LEBOTWOOD C.P. LEEBOTWOOD
11/57 The Pound Inn and
29.1.52 attached barn (formerly
listed as Pound Inn)
Farmhouse and barn, now Inn. Probably C15 or early C16 with c.1600,
late C19 and mid-C20 alterations and additions. Rendered timber frame,
partly of cruck construction, rendered masonry additions and weatherboarded
timber framed barn; thatched roof. Baffle-entry hall range of 2 framed
bays with projecting gabled cross wing to right, and later addition
and attached barn to left. One storey and attic. Central rendered
ridge stack, integral rendered brick end stack to left, and integral
lateral rendered stack to left of cross wing; 2 large, probably C17,
full gabled eaves dormers with C20 three-light wooden casements, that
to right dated 1650. Two C20 ground-floor 3-light leaded wooden casements
(that to left a canted bay), central gabled porch with 3-light C20
leaded wooden casement to front and half-glazed boarded door in left-
hand return front with open timber porch; boarded doors to right and
to far left, both with bracketed elliptical-roofed porches. Cross
wing to right with attic and ground-floor C20 three-light canted bay
window. C20 flat-roofed addition to right with canted bay window.
probably early C19 weatherboarded barn adjoining to left with sandstone
rubble plinth and boarded loft door in gable end. Mounting block
adjoining cross wing to left. 2 storey gabled wing at rear with ridge
stack. Interior: hall range with 3 full cruck trusses; inserted c.1600
first floor in hall range has pair of chamfered spine beams with
ogee stops and chamfered joists with ogee stops. Inserted c.1600 stack
with fireplace rebuilt in C20 but incorporating chamfered wooden lintel.
This building became an inn in 1823 when the former Pound Inn was burnt
down. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.99-100; Alcock, p.144.
Listing NGR: SO4760098757
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings