This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6685 / 52°40'6"N
Longitude: -1.0194 / 1°1'9"W
OS Eastings: 466407
OS Northings: 308321
OS Grid: SK664083
Mapcode National: GBR 9NK.M2S
Mapcode Global: WHFKJ.96T1
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177337
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189497
Location: Beeby, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Beeby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: South Croxton with Beeby
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 NE MAIN STREET (East Side)
7/32 Church of All Saints
Parish church, largely early C14, with some restoration, including the rebuilding
of the chancel in 1819. Coursed ironstone rubble throughout, with white ashlar
dressings. Chancel is of brick. West tower nave with clerestory and 2 aisles,
chancel. Tower of 3 stages with slender angle buttresses. West door and 2-light
window over it. 3-light double tiered traceried lights to bell chamber. Clock
on west face. Quatrefoil frieze below embattled parapet, which contains gargoyles.
Stumpy remains of spire. South aisle is of 2 distinct builds: coursed rubble
to west, ashlar work to east on granite plinth. South doorway is a worn roll
moulded arch on slender shafts, one renewed. The door itself is a fine piece
of timberwork, with slender strapwork pattern of Y-tracery. C19 South porch
of granite and openwork timber. One wide and simply traceried window and a
round arched foiled light. Ashlar parapet. Clerestory has paired foiled lights
and ashlar parapet, with gargoyles. Brick chancel of 1819 with red sandstone
east window and rather heavy tracery. Date stone in apex of east gable. Buttressed
North aisle with 2 wide 3-light decorated windows and a small doorway with
single chamfered arch with hoodmould. Above it is a very worn carved head.
North door is of similar quality and style to south. Inside, the nave is of
3 bays, but as the tower is arcaded on 3 sides, the impression is of a 4th
western bay or narthex. Arches below tower are double chamfered with clustered
shafts, and ogee arched doorway to tower staircase. Nave-arcade has octagonal
columns, double chamfered arches with large corbels, Victorian restorations:
a serpent, a skull, the crucifixion and various saints etc. Nave roof is perhaps
C15: cambered trusses with large central foliate bosses. Chancel arch looks
earlier than the arcade, perhaps late C13 - it is steeply pointed and double
chamfered on half-octagonal piers. There is a door to former rood loft to north.
The Chancel is raised up 3 steps, its screen is largely medieval, (C14) though
capped by a Victorian cross, and has central ogee archway and cusped tracery
panels either side of it. Fragments of a similar screen are incorporated in
the south aisle screen.
Stone and marble heavy high Victorian pulpit, c1860. Royal arms over tower
arch. Partly obliterated incised slab beneath tower. Font is a diminutive basin
on 4 round shafts with nail head decoration on bases and in between them. The
basin is a slightly curved square, with a floral motif filling each panel.
Perhaps C13. Various late C18 box pews and a gothick commandments board in
the South aisle.
Listing NGR: SK6640708321
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings