This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.911 / 52°54'39"N
Longitude: -2.5587 / 2°33'31"W
OS Eastings: 362522
OS Northings: 334990
OS Grid: SJ625349
Mapcode National: GBR 7R.NNZ0
Mapcode Global: WH9C2.N3R5
Entry Name: The Haven
Listing Date: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260416
Location: Moreton Say, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Moreton Say
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Moreton Say St Margaret Antioch
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 63 SW MORETON SAY C.P. MORETONWOOD
8/111 The Haven
Estate lodge. Dated 1875, probably by William Eden Nesfield. Timber
framed with plastered infill panels on red brick plinth. Tile-hung
gables and plain tile roof, hipped to left. Irregular T-plan. One
storey and attic. Chamfered plinth and coved eaves. Globe finials -
at apex of hip and gables. Brick ridge stack at junction of 2 ranges
and external lateral brick stack to rear, each consisting of a pair
of star-shaped shafts with oversailing tops. Right-hand gabled wing
has ground-floor canted bay with 2-:3-:2- light wooden mullioned and
transomed window, jettied attic with roll-moulded bressumer and end
brackets, attic oriel consisting of 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed
window with hipped roof and coved base with shaped end brackets, and
jettied gable with a series of small brackets supporting a roll-moulded
tie-beam and wall plates with shaped eaves. Lower bressumer dated:
"JP & AM / 1875". Left-hand range with small 2-light attic casement
beneath eaves to right and ground-floor 3-light mullioned and transomed
window to left. Boarded door in angle of wing to right with roll-
moulded surround and lean-to timber framed porch consisting of polygonal-
arched entrance,chamfered arched braces with carved spandrels, carved
bracket supporting wall plate to left, and 4 ogee-headed side lights.
Left-hand gable end: full-height gabled square bay with
1-:4-:1- light mullioned and transomed ground-floor window, slightly
jettied attic with roll-moulded bressumer and small brackets, 4-light
mullioned and transomed attic window and shaped brackets supporting
wall plates. Right-hand return front: pair of raking dormers with
C20 two-light casements. C20 additions at rear. Interior not inspected.
Nesfield designed Cloverley Hall (see Ightfield C.P.) nearby,built in
1864-70 but now demolished. This lodge and Pool Cottage (q.v.) are
attributed to him on stylistic grounds. B.o.E., p.107; Jill Franklin,
The Gentleman's Country House and its Plan 1835-1914, p.211.
Listing NGR: SJ6252234990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings