History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dower House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dowlish Wake, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9109 / 50°54'39"N

Longitude: -2.8887 / 2°53'19"W

OS Eastings: 337612

OS Northings: 112760

OS Grid: ST376127

Mapcode National: GBR MB.QV9V

Mapcode Global: FRA 46VP.LFS

Entry Name: The Dower House

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Last Amended: 13 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262165

Location: Dowlish Wake, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Dowlish Wake

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Dowlishwake

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text

DOWLISH WAKE CP
ST31SE
DOWLISH WAKE VILLAGE

2/33 The Dower House
(formerly listed is Lower Farm
House and range of Barns at Lower
Farm)
4.2.58

GV II

Detached house. Dated 1664. Ham stone cut and squared in diminishing depth of courses, ashlar tressings; thatched roof
with stepped coped west gable and hipped on east return; brick chimney stacks. 'L'-plan; 2 storey, 4
Hollow-chamfrer mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses, the lower windows with labels, first floor windows of 4, 4, 4
and 3 lights, those to bays 3 and 4 being restorations; to ground floor a 5-light spanning bays 1/2, then a 4- and a
3 light: to lower bay 2 a C20 boarded door in plain opening; between the windows to upper bays l/2 a datestone with
billet-mould frame inscribed 'M/WC/1664'. West gable has a 3-light mullioned window with label to first floor, with a
small extension to the north-west corner. A longer extension from the north-east corner has one 2-light window without
label, and then joins onto two farm buildings. Inside, the roof frame has closed collar trusses with wattle and daub
infill: two cambered fireplaces, the ground floor example mutilated, otherwise the interior considerably modified. The
house was leased to female members of the Speke family during the later C18, hence +he name. (VCH Somerset, Vol IV,
l978, pl52; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, l975).


Listing NGR: ST3761212760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.