This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6414 / 52°38'29"N
Longitude: -2.636 / 2°38'9"W
OS Eastings: 357058
OS Northings: 305039
OS Grid: SJ570050
Mapcode National: GBR BP.6MQG
Mapcode Global: WH9D6.GVZX
Entry Name: Cound Lodge Inn
Listing Date: 29 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259735
Location: Cound, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Cound
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Cound
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
COUND C.P. A458
SJ 50 NE
4/81 Cound Lodge Inn
House, now inn. Early C18, remodelled in mid- to late C18. Red brick,
painted to front and back; plain tile roofs. U-plan with additions.
2 storeys and attic. North front: painted stone plinth with moulded
top, painted chamfered stone quoins, moulded wooden dentil eaves cornice,
moulded footstones, and dentil brick eaves cornice and verges to sides
and rear; 3 gabled eaves dormers with 2-light wooden casements, and 2
large brick ridge stacks on wings at rear. 5 bays, refenestrated in
mid- to late C18, now 3 bays; segmental-headed glazing bar sashes;
tripartite in outer bays, cut down to form French casements to left;
central door with 6 raised and fielded panels (top 2 glazed), pilastered
surround, moulded cornice, and radial fanlight with moulded architrave.
2-storey service wing set-back to left with dentil brick eaves cornice,
first-floor segmental-headed glazing bar sash, and central ground-floor
segmental-headed 3-light casement with small C20 casement to left; C20
one-storey addition projecting to right. South front: 2:1:2 bays with
central gable and projecting gabled wings; segmental-headed glazing
bar sashes with later ground-floor projecting square bay to left and
C20 glazed doors. Interior not inspected but noted as having an early
C18 staircase with turned balusters and ramped handrail; there may be
other rooms of interest. This building was an alehouse by 1745, and
occupied until at least 1815 by the Dodson family under the name of
Cound Lane House. The Shrewsbury-Much Wenlock road formerly ran between
the inn and the River Severn and was diverted to the south of the building
at some time before the construction of the Severn Valley Railway line
(now disused) in 1861, hence the former back of the house (south) has
become the entrance front. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.62.
Listing NGR: SJ5705805039
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings