This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9448 / 52°56'41"N
Longitude: -2.5426 / 2°32'33"W
OS Eastings: 363638
OS Northings: 338739
OS Grid: SJ636387
Mapcode National: GBR 7S.LDX4
Mapcode Global: WH9BW.X7FS
Entry Name: Stable Block Approximately 30 Metres to South of Shavington Gardens
Listing Date: 10 February 1959
Last Amended: 5 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260421
Location: Adderley, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Adderley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Adderley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 63 NW MORETON SAY C.P. SHAVINGTON PARK
SJ 6366 3875
Stable block approx.
5/116 30 metres to south of
10.2.59 Shavington Gardens
(formerly listed as
Stables at Shavington
Stable block, now partly an agricultural building. Circa 1685, restored
and extended in the late C19. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar
dressings. Hipped slate roof. Shallow H-plan with later ranges forming
courtyard at rear. 2 storeys. East front: chamfered quoins, flat
string course and moulded wooden eaves cornice. C19 brick ridge stacks
off-centre to left and right and brick ridge stack to left-hand rear
wing. Central octagonal wooden cupola (probably altered in the C19)
with moulded cornice to base, fluted Greek Doric columns supporting
moulded cornice, and low lead dome with weathervane (almost detached
at time of survey.July 1986). 2:1:1:1:2 bays; wooden cross windows
with stone cills and gauged-brick heads. Single-light windows in return
of left-hand wing. Central quoined break rising above cornice to open
triangular pediment with circular painted wooden clock in tympanum (hands
missing at time of survey). Central first-floor circular panel with
trompe-l'oeil window. Central round-arched carriageway with rusticated
reveals, impost blocks and raised keystone with moulded top. Pair
of probably C19 large 4 x 4 panelled wooden doors with wrought-iron
strap hinges and large C19 wrought-iron lamp bracket above. Pair of
blocked segmental-arched openings flanking entrance. Ground-floor
window in second bay from left has been cut down in the late C19 to
form a door. Return elevations with 3 first-floor and 2 ground-floor
windows; 2-and 3-light mullioned and transomed casements. Interior
not inspected. Three C19 ranges around courtyard at rear. 2 storeys.
Dentil brick eaves cornice and verges. Gauged-brick elliptical-arched
entrance in gabled break to north with impost bands and keystone,and
pair of large panelled doors. Similar entrance to south with round
archway and triangular pediment above. Shavington Hall was dated 1685.
It stood to the south-west of the stable block and was demolished in
1959. It had been altered in 1885-6 by Richard Norman Shaw and again
(internally) in 1903 by Ernest Newton. The late C19 restoration of
the stable block and the additions might be the work of Shaw. The
stable block still stands at the centre of a landscaped park with a
number of lakes. Shavington Gardens are not included on this list.
B.o.E., p.240-1; Country Life, Vol. XLIV, pp. 92-8 and 112-17; Andrew
Saint, Richard Norman Shaw, p.430.
Listing NGR: SJ6363838739
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings