This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7305 / 52°43'49"N
Longitude: -1.4305 / 1°25'49"W
OS Eastings: 438553
OS Northings: 314914
OS Grid: SK385149
Mapcode National: GBR 6H7.Z05
Mapcode Global: WHDHT.0M2L
Entry Name: Alton House
Listing Date: 24 November 1965
Last Amended: 1 September 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187821
Location: Ravenstone with Snibstone, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Ravenstone with Snibstone
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Ashby-de-la-Zouch St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 31 SE
Alton House (formerly
listed as Alton Grange)
House, C1800. Ashlar to road front, coursed, squared rubble to sides, with
continuous plinth. Low pitched slate roof. 2 storeys. Road front of 4 bays,
sides of 3 with central doorways with round arched fanlights and 6 panel doors,
that on east front having moulded architrave. Sash windows with glazing bars
throughout. Road front has angle pilaster strips. Overhanging eaves.
Central brick ridge stack.
History: George Stephenson bought Alton Grange in 1833 and lived there until
1842 while developing mining on the Snibston estate.
Listing NGR: SK3855314914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings