History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Knowle St. Giles, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8998 / 50°53'59"N

Longitude: -2.9096 / 2°54'34"W

OS Eastings: 336129

OS Northings: 111540

OS Grid: ST361115

Mapcode National: GBR M9.RNP2

Mapcode Global: FRA 46SQ.J8P

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalen

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177461

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262178

Location: Knowle St. Giles, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Knowle St. Giles

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Cricket Malherbie with Knowle St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text

KNOWLE ST GILES CP CRICKET LANE (East side)
ST31SE CRICKET MALHERBIE

2/52 Church of St Mary Magdalen
4.2.58

GV 11*

Anglican parish church. C12 origins; but rebuilt c1855 by Rev J.M Allen, Staple and Munden, builders. Ham stone ashlar:
plain clay tiled roofs between moulded coped gables with a variety of finials, behind traceried parapets. three-cell
plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north transept, with a north-east corner vestry, south porch and north-west
tower, all in a scholarly Geometric style. Chancel has double plinth, trefoil traceried parapets, corner and bay
buttresses with panelled and gabletted tops, with crocketted pinnacles to corners: east window a 5-light with headstop
label, a trefoil vent over; a 2-light window on south side, east bay, with simple arched doorway up 4 steps to west
bay: further 2-light window on north side. The north-east vestry to match, but with flat roof behind plain parapet;
2-light flat headed window with square headstop label on north side, no external doorway; stairs down to boiler room
against east wall. North transept similar, but with Curvilinear tracery to parapets, and having corner gargoyles:
3-liqht north window, blank on east and west sides. Nave has Curvilinear traceried parapets; 2-light windows with
simple tracery to sides, but the west gable much more elaborate, with a 3-light reticulated window flanked by
ogee-arched niches holding C20 statues, a traceried trefoil gable light over, and the gable crowned with a crocketted
tabernacle. South porch has plinth, angled corner buttresses; trefoil-traceried parapets and moulded coped gable with
cross finial; 2-order outer arch with applied flower boss ornament and wrought-iron gate; single-order inner iron with
elaborate ironwork straps to door; side walls have 2 small sidelights, Tower of 3 stages, capped with a spire; angled
corner buttresses 2 stages hill, plinth; string courses, the top with flower boss ornament and corner gargoyles, then a
low castellated parapet; the spire small, with gabled windows to principal faces: in stage 1 the west face has a cusped
lancet window, and the north a moulded pointed-arched doorway; stage 2 has a flat-arched light with ogee tracery to
each face except the east, where there is a 2-stage octagonal-plan stairway projection; stage 3 has a 2-light
Curvilinear-traceried window with louvres on each side, set in a hollowed arched reveal with ballflower decoration and
headstop label. inside, the work scholarly and consitent: the chancel has a timber moulded rib and panel ceiling, an
ornamental carved stone dado, in elaborate piscina on the north side, and also a table-tomb in ojee niche. Chancel arch
finely moulded, the chancel floor of patterned encaustic tiles. Nave has open arch-braced collar-truss roof with
ornamental windbracinq; and fine moulded archway to north transept, and black-and-white diamond pattern stone floor.
North transept the Pitt family pew, with rib and tracery-panelled ceiling, ornamental fireplace with cast-ironback in
east wall. All fittings if the l850s, notably the octagonal wood pulpit on a slender base, the choir stalls, lectern,
pews (including a traceried front to the Pitt chapel), and a richly decorated octagonal font, which has a fine timber
openork cover. Memorials include the chancel table tomb, to Stephen Pitt-Harris, died 1848, and in the north transept
memorials to Stephen Pitt and George Pitt, both died 1865, both memorials by White of Pimlico. In nave a copy of the
Raghael Virgin and Child, with St John the Baptist and an angel, by a Miss B1andy. (Pevsner), N, Buildings of England,
South and west Somerset, l958).


Listing NGR: ST3612911540

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.