History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ravenstone Hospital

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ravenstone with Snibstone, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.721 / 52°43'15"N

Longitude: -1.4074 / 1°24'26"W

OS Eastings: 440124

OS Northings: 313864

OS Grid: SK401138

Mapcode National: GBR 6HG.JYP

Mapcode Global: WHDHT.CV1X

Entry Name: Ravenstone Hospital

Listing Date: 16 December 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177479

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187827

Location: Ravenstone with Snibstone, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE67

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Ravenstone with Snibstone

Built-Up Area: Ravenstone

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Ravenstone St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Coalville

Listing Text

SK 41 SW RAVENSTONE HOSPITAL LANE

6/60 Ravenstone Hospital

16.12.52
II*


Alms houses, founded 1711 and built soon after. Brick with stone dressing.
Quadrangle with sides, of 2 storeys and 13 bays, symmetrically arranged. West
side is principal front, and has centre piece with arched entrance with
pilasters and entablature. Panel over door with arms of Wilkins, carved
volutes, and traces of painted decoration, and the inscription "This hospital was
built by John Wilkins Esq and with his consent very liberally endowed by Rebecca
his wife in memory of their only son Francis Wollarton Wilkins, who died on the
5th day of Febrary A.D. 1711. Soli Deo Gratia". An additional inscription
records that the 2 wings on the front of the building were built in 1784. To
each side of this central entry, 2 further round-arched entrances with moulded
chamfered arches and keystones, abutting brick aprons beneath upper windows; also
4 2-light stone mullioned windows, with diamond panes, stone eaves cornice and
giant corner Tuscan pilasters. Other elevations conform in style, and all are
unaltered.

To the east of the main quadrangle, an additional range is a good pastiche of
c1860.


Listing NGR: SK4012413864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.