History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle Cary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0903 / 51°5'24"N

Longitude: -2.513 / 2°30'46"W

OS Eastings: 364169

OS Northings: 132451

OS Grid: ST641324

Mapcode National: GBR MV.CM4H

Mapcode Global: FRA 56M7.NSC

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177487

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262008

Location: Castle Cary, South Somerset, Somerset, BA7

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Castle Cary

Built-Up Area: Castle Cary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Castle Cary

Listing Text

CASTLE CARY CP HIGH STREET (North side)
ST6432
6/75 National Westminster Bank

GV II

Bank. Circa 1900. Doulting stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between stepped coped gables;
brick chimney stacks. Art Nouveau style; 2 storeys with attics; 3 bays, of which the two
outer bays project slightly. Plinth, rusticated quoins, interrupted cornice and
balustrade; sash windows of 12 panes, in pairs to outer bays set in rusticated elliptical
arched surrounds with swan-neck hoods, more pronounced at lower level; glazing bars
removed from lower bay 1; bay 3 has a larger 3-unit display, the window having
elaborately carved timber mullions; central pitched roof dormer window; the bay 2
doorway, up 4 steps, has large 3-panelled doors set in a surround which spans between
the outer bay projections and has flanking pilasters with Byzantine caps; plain flat
hood with swan-neck balustrade over with bell-capped end piers, matched by similar piers
on corners; in shaped centre panel of parapet a monogram of S.B.Co and 'Estd 1826' - this
was Stuckeys Bank, originating in Langport, which had branches throughout Somerset until,
after various C20 mergers, it became part of National Westminster Bank. Interior not
seen. Imposing facade, included primarily for its streetscape value, especially in
relation to the Market Place.


Listing NGR: ST6416932451

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.