This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6701 / 52°40'12"N
Longitude: -0.8171 / 0°49'1"W
OS Eastings: 480083
OS Northings: 308703
OS Grid: SK800087
Mapcode National: GBR CRG.Q6L
Mapcode Global: WHFKM.F43V
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 7 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189873
Location: Knossington and Cold Overton, Melton, Leicestershire, LE15
Civil Parish: Knossington and Cold Overton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Knossington (Whatborough Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 8008 - 8108 KNOSSINGTON SOMERBY ROAD
20/116 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Late C13, C14, restored 1830. Restored, chancel
rebuilt and organ chamber added in 1882 by A. W. Blomfield.
Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with ashlar dressings
and lead and plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinths and eaves.
Coped gables. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle and
vestry, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Unbuttressed west
tower, C13, 3 stages, has deep plinth, 2 string courses, coved
eaves band with masks and 4 gargoyles, plain parapet and pyrmidal
roof with wind vane. First stage has to west, double lancet with
quatrefoil head. Second stage has, to south, clock. Third stage
has on each side a cusped ogee double lancet bell opening with
panel tracery. All the openings have hood moulds and stops.
Clerestory, 2 bays, has on each side 2 restored Geometrical
double lancets. North aisle and vestry, 4 bays, has single
central and single corner buttresses, 4 setoffs. West end has a
restored Geometrical double lancet. North side has to east, a
C13 lancet. To west, a blocked C13 doorway with moulded imposts,
flanked to left by an untraceried C14 triple. lancet with flat
head, and to right by a C14 ogee headed Geometrical double
lancet. East end has a C19 plain double lancet. All the
openings have hood moulds. Chancel east end has graduated plain
triple lancet with linked hood mould, and coped gable with cross.
South side has a plain double lancet with hood mould. South
aisle, 4 bays, has off-centre south side buttress and a similar
buttress to the west corner. South side has to east, chamfered
C19 doorway and beyond, plain C19 double lancet, both with hood
moulds. To west, beyond the south porch, a C14 Geometrical
double lancet. To east of the porch, a C19 reticulated triple
lancet with flat head. West end has a C19 cusped double lancet.
All these openings have hood moulds. C19 south porch has coped
gable with kneelers and cross. Double chamfered and rebated
doorway with responds and hood mould. East side has a single
chamfered lancet. Interior has a common rafter roof. Double
chamfered and rebated inner doorway with chamfered responds and
hood mould. C13 double chamfered and rebated tower arch has
octagonal responds. Tower chamber west window has C19 stained
glass. North and south arcades, C13, 3 bays, have octagonal
piers and responds with water holding bases and abaci with
nailhead. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds
and stops. Low pitched C19 roof with arch braces on corbels.
North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with arch braces. North
aisle has west and eastern windows with stained glass, 1889.
East end has an unglazed C19 triple lancet containing organ
pipes. South aisle east window with stained glass, 1881. West
end has stained glass window, 1889. Double chamfered chancel
arch, C14, has hood mould and octagonal imposts on corbels.
North side has segmental pointed organ recess and organ, 1882.
East end has Perpendicular style panelled, traceried dado and
reredos, 1912. East window has shafts and hood mould, and
stained glass c.1879. South side has 2 bay arcade with octagonal
pier with nail head band to abacus, segmental arches and hood
mould. Traceried panelled Perpendicular style screen, 1912.
Pointed barrel vaulted roof with moulded ribs. Fittings include
C13 hemispherical lobed font on round stem with 4 minor shafts.
Late C16 semi-circular marble font with fluted projecting ribs.
C17 carved chest and 2 chairs. Late C19 traceried panelled
stalls and desks with poppyheads, matching skeleton pulpit, plain
benches, brass eagle lectern. 3 coronet-shaped multiple oil
lamps. Donations board, 1826. Notice regarding restoration of
1830. Memorials include marble and alabaster tablet, 1843.
Marble and alabaster war memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945. Brass,
1924, in alabaster surround. 3 C20 brasses.
Listing NGR: SK8008308703
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings