This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.606 / 52°36'21"N
Longitude: -2.8219 / 2°49'18"W
OS Eastings: 344439
OS Northings: 301234
OS Grid: SJ444012
Mapcode National: GBR BF.8XN2
Mapcode Global: WH8C5.MRGH
Entry Name: Coppice Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259619
Location: Smethcott, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Smethcott
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Smethcote St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 40 SW SMETHCOTT C.P. -
1/78 Coppice Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Late C16 with mid- to late C17 and C19 alterations and additions.
Timber-framed with painted brick nogging on sandstone rubble plinth,
partly rebuilt and extended in painted and rendered sandstone rubble
and brick; slate roofs. Two late C16 framed bays with pair of C17 gabled
wings to front. C17 framing: square panels (3 from sole plate to wall
plate) with straight corner-braces; exposed collar and tie-beam trusses
with queen struts and v-struts. One storey and attic and 2 storeys.
Integral brick end stack to left and external brick lateral stack to
right. 1:1:1 window front; first-floor 2-light C19 wooden casements,
and 2 ground-floor 2-light small-paned wooden casements; central flat-
roofed timber framed porch between wings has half-glazed door with moulded
architrave. Small staircase window with chamfered wooden frame in left-
hand gable end. C19 gabled wing at rear. Interior: square-panelled
timber framed cross walls with carpenter's marks; pair of chamfered spine
beams with ogee stops; old fireplace with salt cupboard under
staircase to right; old boarded and panelled doors with moulded jambs.
The first building phase seems to have been two late C16 bays with one
end stack to left. The gabled wings were added in the C17 (possibly
separately - see difference in scantling of timbers).and in the mid-
to late C19 the main range was partly rebuilt, including raising the
eaves, and the rear wing added. Coppice Farm is first recorded in 1585
and was occupied until 1619 by the lessee of Trentham's Wood. V.C.H.,
Vol. VIII, p.150.
Listing NGR: SJ4443901234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings