This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7911 / 52°47'27"N
Longitude: -2.7513 / 2°45'4"W
OS Eastings: 349432
OS Northings: 321766
OS Grid: SJ494217
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.XB5M
Mapcode Global: WH8BF.Q31M
Entry Name: Shotton Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260037
Location: Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer H
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hadnall St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 42 SE HADNALL C.P. -
7/43 Shotton Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid- to late C18 with early to mid-C19 additions. Red
brick with dressed red sandstone plinth and additions; slate roofs.
3 storeys. Dentil brick eaves cornice. Integral brick end stacks
and brick ridge stack off-centre to north-east. North-west front:
3-window front; 2- and 3-light segmental-headed wooden casements.
Door off-centre between first and second windows from right with
4 flush panels and 3-light rectangular overlight with segmental head.
Later 2-storey gabled addition projecting at right angles to left with
3-light segmental-headed wooden casement to each floor and external
lateral stack to left. Rear: central door with 4 flush panels, 3-
part rectangular overlight and bracketed porch. Later projecting gabled
wing of one and a half storeys and with integral lateral brick stack. Interior:
staircase with closed string and stick balusters. Richard Gough (writing
in 1701) says that Shotton Farm did "antiently belong to the Kinastons".
Thomas Kinaston (or Kynaston) sold it to Mr William Watkins in 1629.
The buildings at Shotton Farm now all appear to post-date Gough's account.
It is possible that Gough is referring to Shotton Hall (now mid- to
late C19 and not included on this list). In Gough's time Hadnall was
a chapelry of Myddle. Richard Gough, Ed. D. Hey, The History of Myddle,
Penguin (1981), pp. 110-114. David G. Hey, An English Rural Community:
Myddle Under the Tudors and Stuarts, Leicester University Press (1974),
Listing NGR: SJ4943221766
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings