This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7844 / 52°47'3"N
Longitude: -1.4389 / 1°26'19"W
OS Eastings: 437942
OS Northings: 320908
OS Grid: SK379209
Mapcode National: GBR 6GN.H19
Mapcode Global: WHDHL.W80Q
Entry Name: Staunton Harold Hall
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187841
Location: Staunton Harold, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, LE65
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Staunton Harold
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Breedon-on-the-Hill St Mary and St Hardulph
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 32 SE STAUNTON HAROLD STAUNTON HAROLD' PARK
1/69 Staunton Harold Hall
Hall, largely rebuilt, 1763 for 5th Earl Ferrers, but incorporating within a
Jacobean house altered c1700 for the 1st Earl. The exterior, round a
quadrangle, is of 1763, all of brick with stone dressings. Principal (east)
front, 2 storeys, 11 bays, with 3 bay ashlar pedimented centrepiece with
Tuscan and above them lonic, engaged columns seperated by a triglyph frieze.
Centre door set within bracketted case and with fanlight. Ground floor windows
have straight entchlatures those to 1st floor alternate triangular and segmental
pedimented heads, all have stone architraves. Stone sill course, plinth, quoins
and cornice, above which is-balustrade, on which are several stone urns.
Statues surmount the central pediment. South front has 3 storeys, with projecting
wings forming the lion court.
The wings each have a palladian window to ground floor and a niche with a statue
above. Between the wings, 7 bays with central doorway and a parapet capped by
leaded lion on expressed centre, and adorned with urns. North front is of 5 bays and
2 storeys, with balustraded parapet. Window pediments similar to those on east
front, central doorway with Tuscau doorcase with segmental niched head. 1st floor
central window has architrave with plain consoles for emphasis. The interior reveals
the earlier building. One room of the Jacobean house, the Justice Room, survives,
now restored to its original use as a chapel, it has panelling with inset paintings
of saints, and carved angels in the cornice. More remains of the house of c1700,
notably the staircase, a cantilevered stone well stair with rich wrought iron
balustrade and ceiling painted in the venetian style in panels. The saloon on the
1st floor also has venetian style painting to ceiling in ornate plaster panels,
and a plaster cornice & moveable fireplace with inlay of blue john. Adjoining
this, 2 state rooms also of this date, one of which contains an ornate fireplace
with circular painting of birds etc. in the overmantle. The 5th Earl? 5 work is
best seen in the library, a long room on the ground floor of the north range with
pedimented bookcases & a plaster cornice. Ground floor drawing room has ornate
plaster panelled ceiling. Throughout the house are many fine chimney pieces, doors,
See Country Life 33 1915 pp490 and 526.
Listing NGR: SK3794220908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings