This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6027 / 52°36'9"N
Longitude: -2.8425 / 2°50'33"W
OS Eastings: 343036
OS Northings: 300883
OS Grid: SJ430008
Mapcode National: GBR BD.94VY
Mapcode Global: WH8C5.9VN1
Entry Name: Underhill Hall
Listing Date: 7 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177560
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259623
Location: Smethcott, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Smethcott
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Smethcote St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 40 SW SMETHCOTE C.P. -
1/82 Underhill Hall
Farmhouse, now house. Circa 1700, incorporating mid-C17 core. Painted
sandstone rubble with painted red brick front; slate roof. 3 storeys.
Plat band between ground and first floors and dentil brick eaves cornice;
large brick ridge stack off-centre to right, rendered brick stack just
off-centre to left and external brick end stack to left. 3:1:3 bays;
small-paned 2-light wooden casements (blind on first floor in second
and sixth bays). Central half-glazed door (2 lower raised and fielded
panels) with moulded architrave; C18 two-storey gabled brick porch with
plat bands, dentil brick eaves cornice (returning to front) and round-
arched entrance with panelled piers, moulded imposts, and moulded architrave
with keystone; benches inside porch. C19 two-storey kitchen wing at
rear with integral brick end stack. Interior: complete mid-C17 and
early C18 fittings. Hall: C17 panelling; early C18 fireplace with beaded
segmental arch, moulded cornice, and 3 bolection-moulded panels above
with moulded cornice. Ground-floor room just off-centre to left: early
C18 fireplace with raised and fielded panelling and moulded cornice;
fireplace with beaded stone surround, moulded wooden cornice, and large
panel above; pair of flanking round-arched cupboards with raised and
fielded panelled doors, panelled spandrels and shaped shelves. Ground-
floor left-hand room: C17 panels (with taper burns) and doors with fluted
frieze, moulded cornice, and bolection-moulded panel above doors; fireplace
has stone surround with raised and fielded panelled sides and lintel
with fluted and shaped key, and overmantel with raised and fielded panelled
pilasters (cornice breaking forward above) flanking bolection-moulded
panel; plastered spine beam. First-floor bedrooms: left and right-hand
rooms have early C18 fireplaces, each with bolection-moulded surround,
moulded cornice, and 3 bolection-moulded panels above with moulded cornice;
late C18 and early C19 grates. Middle bedroom with C18 fireplace. Mid-
C17 staircase rising to attic: 3 flights around square well with closed
string, pierced splat balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts
with rounded caps (top newel post with large finial and lower newel posts
with incised fleur-de-lys decoration). Some painted C17 panelling.
Plain C17 winder back staircase. C18 doors throughout with 6 raised
and fielded panels. Panelled window reveals and seats in some rooms.
Roof: eaves raised in C18 with king-post trusses. In 1722 the house
passed to the Powys family of Berwick who seem to have used it as a
hunting lodge. By 1755 Henry Powys had laid out a small park around
the house and had stocked two nearby pools with fish. The house forms
part of a small farmstead group including a barn (q.v.) to north. V.C.H.,
Vol. VIII, p.151.
Listing NGR: SJ4303600883
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings