This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2579 / 51°15'28"N
Longitude: -2.425 / 2°25'30"W
OS Eastings: 370436
OS Northings: 151057
OS Grid: ST704510
Mapcode National: GBR MY.15D4
Mapcode Global: VH89P.XNB1
Entry Name: Babington House
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267924
Location: Kilmersdon, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Mells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Country House in landscaped grounds. Circa 1705 for Henry Mompesson; altered and extended, dated on rainwater head:-
"l790", for Captain Charles Knatchbull, possibly by John Pinch, further C19 work. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone
dressings, plinth, lintel band, rusticated alternating quoins, dentil cornice, plain parapet with a coping, hipped
concrete tile roof, some flat-roofed dormers with sash windows to returns, ashlar stacks. Roughly rectangular on plan,
with a central light-well, north front with bow. Symmetrical early Georgian front. Basement, 2 storeys and attic, 7
bays, 12-pane sash windows in moulded architraves, to ground floor with cornice drips. Central door opening with
bolection moulded architrave, semi-circular stone shell hood on brackets with enrichment; three-quarter glazed door.
Large 2-storey, 3 window bow to north front, 12-pane sash windows. Seven-bay south front, entrance projects with a
Gothick door opening. Single storey service wing at rear. Interior with important features; hall with ceiling with
ornamental plasterwork, stair-case with turned and twisted balusters, dado panelling, doors in bolection moulded
surrounds; dining room with ornamental plasterwork, doorcases and chimneypiece; first floor drawing room also richly
decorated; further features including chimneypieces, ornamental plasterwork, panelling and re-used medieval glass. It
is believed that the building stands on C17 foundations. (Country Life, 16 April 1943).
Listing NGR: ST7043651057
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings