History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchstanton School

A Grade II Listed Building in Churchstanton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9134 / 50°54'48"N

Longitude: -3.1489 / 3°8'56"W

OS Eastings: 319326

OS Northings: 113283

OS Grid: ST193132

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.QN37

Mapcode Global: FRA 469P.F2V

Entry Name: Churchstanton School

Listing Date: 18 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177583

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271202

Location: Churchstanton, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA3

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Churchstanton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Otterford

Listing Text

ST11SE CHURCHSTANTON CP
WILLAND

7/34 Churchstanton School

II

School. 1879. Random rubble local stone, buff brick dressings, steeply pitched double Roman tiled roofs, overhanging
eaves, shaped brackets gable ends, decorative ridge tiles. L-plan facing east, schoolmasters house in south wing. One
and a half storey wing containing school masters residence, single storey school, lower single storey porch north end,
1:4:1 bays, central 2 bays surmounted by gable, brick panel with hoodmould in apex, bellcote above, all windows with
moulded mullions, dentil moulded brick cornice cutting segmental headed windows wih brick surrounds to school continued
as string course in left gable end, 2-light window above, single light and 2-light below, 3-light windows to right,
plank door with decorative hinges in porch end bay right. A good example of an unaltered parish school built following
the 1870 Education Act. A board outside the school states that the school was founded in 1850 as a church school
located in the churchyard; it became a board school in 1876 and the new school was opened on the present site in
1879.


Listing NGR: ST1932613283

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.