History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orchard Works 40 Yards to East of Number 98

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.814 / 51°48'50"N

Longitude: 0.1563 / 0°9'22"E

OS Eastings: 548739

OS Northings: 215019

OS Grid: TL487150

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.BB2

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.NNJQ

Entry Name: Orchard Works 40 Yards to East of Number 98

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160874

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

STATION ROAD
1.
5253
(South Side)
Orchard Works
40 yds to E of No 98
TL 4874 1502:2/13
II GV
2.
Mid-late C19 yellow gault brick malting. Outlier of an extensive range of
similar C19 brick listed maltings to the south of Sawbridgeworth Station
on the opposite side of the Stort Navigation in Sheering Parish, Essex.
Imposing tall pilastered block fronting N onto road with ornamental gables
to W and E. Slate roof. Cranked on plan following bend in road. Deeper
part of building at W end. Pilasters define 12 bays from W up to bend.
5 bays beyond. Broad giant order pilasters with splayed base offsets and
expanded caps. Panels between have 4 splayed offsets at base and a
corbelled eaves band. Windows in alternate bays. From W to E the facade
illustrates the stages of the malting process. The first 3 bays are
surmounted by a projecting timber framed weatherboarded slate roofed lucam
at roof level carried on elaborate scrolled brackets. This is for hoisting
the barley into the building where in the deeper section it was stored and
then steeped to begin germination. The next 9 bays have rows of shallow
windows under 2 ring header arches for the low malting floors where the
germination continued under controlled conditions. The wall anchor plates
in the first 2 bays past the corner supported the kiln floors on which the
grain was heated to produce malt. The last bays are where the malt was
bagged and stored for despatch. The kiln roofs have been removed and the
lower malting floor. The wide span timber king post roof trusses remain
exposed. The 5 bay E gable and 6 bay W gable continue the pilastered
treatment but also have elaborate triangular pediments with dentilled and
corbelled courses and heavy chamfered bargeboards. There is a wooden
9+9 paned Yorkshire casement in the tympanum in the W gable. Industrial
steel small paned windows have been inserted and do not detract from the
building's character. Formerly owned by the firm of H A and D Taylor and
called Orchard Malting. A distinctive feature of the approach to the town
from the E.


Listing NGR: TL4873915019

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.