History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Golding

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cound, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6268 / 52°37'36"N

Longitude: -2.6755 / 2°40'31"W

OS Eastings: 354371

OS Northings: 303444

OS Grid: SJ543034

Mapcode National: GBR BM.7Q01

Mapcode Global: WH8C7.W73J

Entry Name: Golding

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259748

Location: Cound, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cound

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cound

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Pitchford

Listing Text

COUND C.P. GOLDING
SJ 50 SW
6/92 Golding
29.1.52
GV II*
Farmhouse. Mid- to late C18 around probably early C17 core, and wing
dated 1668, built for Thomas Langley. Red brick, C17 wing in English
bond with red sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. Shallow
U-plan with projecting gabled cross-wings; centre range and left-hand
cross-wing of the C18 and the right-hand cross-wing dated 1668. Three
storeys with 2-storey and attic cross-wings. Left-hand C18 part with
chamfered plinth, right-hand C17 wing with moulded stone plinth and
quoins, plat bands, square datestone above first-floor windows in right-
hand cross-wing inscribed: T L
Parapet and parapeted 1668
gables, stone coped to
C17 wing; flat-roofed dormers with 2-light casements to return fronts
and rear; large brick ridge stack off-centre to left with C20 brick
top and external brick lateral stack to right with stone quoins and
C20 brick top stage. 2:2:2 bays; 16-pane glazing bar sashes with
stone lintels, central second-floor 18-pane sash and 18-pane attic
sashes to cross-wings; first-floor left-hand sash has been dropped,
probably in the late C19,to accommodate inconsistent floor heights
with an inserted rendered wooden lintel; second bay from left with
painted imitation sashes; central door with 6 flush panels; late C18
porch with unfluted Roman Doric columns supporting reeded dosserets
with dentil cornices, and open triangular pediment with arched tympanum
and dentil cornice; flanking 6-pane windows, probably inserted in late
C19 or C20 (see soldier course to head). 2-bay return fronts, right-
hand with 16-pane sashes to left and blocked windows to right. Rear
of 2:3:2 bays. C18 lead downpipes with moulded rainwater heads.
Kitchen block adjoining at south-east corner: C18; red brick on
coursed red sandstone rubble plinth,with plain tile roof; one storey and
attic; integral brick end stack to left; 3-light segmental-headed
wooden casement to front; gable end to right with 3-light segmental-
headed wooden attic casement and 4 steps up to segmental-headed boarded
door; lean-to brick porch with parapeted verge and segmental brick
archway. Interior: mainly late C17, early C18, and late C18 or early
C19; ground-floor front room to right: panelled with moulded cornice;
C17 corner fireplace with tiles, C18 bolection-moulded surround, frieze
and cornice, and pilasters flanking panel above; first-floor front
room to right: C18 bolection-moulded panelling with moulded cornice,
C17 corner fireplace with C18 bolection-moulded surround and C18 cast
iron grate; fireplaces and doorways in ground- and first-floor front
rooms to right have C17 chamfered wooden and stone surrounds with ogee
stops beneath later C18 and C19 details, the first-floor fireplace with
moulded depressed arch; first-floor right-hand room at rear with small
C18 fireplace with moulded cornice and cast iron grate; central first-
floor room has C18 fireplace with fluted pilasters, husk garlands, frieze,
dentil cornice and cast iron grate; C18 fireplace in first-floor left-
hand room too; kitchen in main block to left: early C19 fireplace
surround with panelled sides, segmental arch and moulded cornice; late
C17 dog-leg staircase in right-hand cross-wing with lozenge decoration,
closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel
posts; early C19 back staircase with stick balusters and turned newels;
late C18 or early C19 panelled doors, panelled shutters, and moulded
architraves throughout. The Langley family acquired the township of
Golding in 1606 and it was probably Thomas Langley who added the wing
in 1668 (see datestone). The left-hand part is probably an C18
rebuilding of an earlier house (possibly of soon after 1606) - see
large stack with large open fireplace, and inconsistencies between
floor levels and C18 windows. Golding is particularly notable as a
largely unaltered and well-preserved large farmhouse within a good
hamlet group [terrace walls, stable, dovecote, tithe barn, cottage
etc. (q.v.)]. V.C.H., Vol.VIII, p.62; B.o.E., p.132; H.E. Forrest
FLS, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, 1924, Pp.92-6.

Listing NGR: SJ5437103444

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.