History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Round House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hadnall, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.785 / 52°47'6"N

Longitude: -2.7082 / 2°42'29"W

OS Eastings: 352333

OS Northings: 321064

OS Grid: SJ523210

Mapcode National: GBR 7K.XNNZ

Mapcode Global: WH8BG.C8M8

Entry Name: The Round House

Listing Date: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177607

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260041

Location: Hadnall, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Hadnall

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Grinshill All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shawbury

Listing Text

SJ 52 SW HADNALL C.P. MILL LANE
(north-west side)

8/47 No. 5 (The Round
- House)

- II

Windmill, now house. Dated 1787, remodelled in the early C19 and altered
in the mid-C20. Red brick, Circular plan with tapering sides; Gothick
style. 2 storeys. First floor slightly set forward. Integral brick stack
to south. Round-arched 2-light wooden casements with Y-tracery. Glazed
door to east with Y-tracery, flanking windows, and first-floor window above
in blocked larger opening with cambered stone lintel and cill. Boarded
round-arched door to west with window to right and first-floor window above.
There are a number of blocked square openings in the wall, some with later
smaller inserted windows, and there are also a series of blocked decorative
cruciform loops. Datestone in parapet above door to east is illegible except
for date at time of survey (December 1985). Interior: large beams and
joists. Segmental-arched brick fireplace. Pevsner calls this the Waterloo
Windmill and says that it was built by Viscount Hill (d.1842) to commemorate
his military exploits. If there is a Waterloo connection then the C18
date must be a misreading (though it is quoted elsewhere). An old photograph
owned by the present occupants (December 1985) shows the mill with a ruined
third stage. It is also possible that the building was never intended
to be a working mill and was built as a partial ruin, or turned into one
later, though the large blocked openings would seem to deny this. It seems
most likely that it does date from the C18 and only later acquired the
Waterloo connections. Pevsner, p.139; W.A. Seaby and A.C. Smith, Windmills
in Shropshire, Hereford and Worcester. A Contemporary Survey, Stevenage
Museum Publications (1983); Shropshire Records Office, Grinshill tithe
map (1838), document no. 4535/T/1.


Listing NGR: SJ5233321064

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.