This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2577 / 51°15'27"N
Longitude: -2.4243 / 2°25'27"W
OS Eastings: 370489
OS Northings: 151031
OS Grid: ST704510
Mapcode National: GBR MY.15LS
Mapcode Global: VH89P.XNR7
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177624
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267928
Location: Kilmersdon, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Kilmersdon
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
6/145 Church of St. Margaret
Anglican Church. Probably 1748 by John Strachan or William Halfpenny. Ashlar, moulded cornices all round, parapets with
copings, lead roofs, that to chancel domical; coped verges. Nave, apsidal chancel, west tower porch; Baroque. Tower
porch of 3 stages, upper stage with octagonal lantern with stone cupola, pineapple finial at apex; stone urn at each
angle where square tower meets lantern; semi-circular head bell openings, emphasised keys and impost band.
Semi-circular head door opening to west, emphasised key and imposts, paired outer dog gates with wrought-iron spear
capping. Three bay nave, semi-circular head windows in architraves with imposts and keys, square-paned leaded lights.
Blank chancel. Complete coeval interior; porch benched on flagstone floor; vaulted ceiling, panelled inner doors,
panelled transomlight, main body plastered on flag floors, walls scribed to resemble ashlar; coved plaster ceiling with
enriched dentil cornice, 2 ornamental bands; chancel arch with a panelled intrados; chancel with acanthus cornice,
ceiling with 3 panels, reredos a Rococo fantasy with cherubs' faces supported by a stem of sacramental vine and wheat
rising from an ornate base, the whole in the shape of a monstrance. This work attributed to Thomas Stocking of Bristol.
Tables of The Law in enriched surrounds. Turned and twisted balusters to altar rails. Panelled box pews flank central
aisle, elevated pulpit with reader below, panelled to rear with carved urn. Plastered Hanoverian Royal Arms in relief
to west end. Small stone font with bowl on baluster-pedestal. C17 chair; piece of high quality medieval carving,
probably continental. Small late C19 organ. Majority of plasterwork with C20 gilding and painting. Yery similar in
conception to Redland Chapel in Bristol which was long considered to be by John Strahan but now known to be by William
Halfpenny. (Church Guide, undated; Country Life, 16 April 1943).
Listing NGR: ST7049051033
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings