History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

King William Iv Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8119 / 51°48'42"N

Longitude: 0.1519 / 0°9'6"E

OS Eastings: 548442

OS Northings: 214778

OS Grid: TL484147

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.97H

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.LQ5B

Entry Name: King William Iv Public House

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160879

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

VANTORTS ROAD
1.
5253
(East Side)
No 7
(King William IV PH)
TL 4844 1477:3/66
II GV
2.
C17 or earlier. Timberframed 2 storey and cellar weatherboarded house under
steep old red tile gabled roof. Main range N-S along street with cross
wing on N projecting only to rear (E) and roofed uniformly with main range.
Lateral rear chimney near S end. External gable chimney at E end of cross
wing. External stack at N end of front range. 3 window front with 2 light
C19 wood casements to 1st floor. Flush box sash windows with 10/10 panes
to Gd floor. Central canted single storey bay with sash windows. Half
glazed doors flanking bay. Interior has chamfered axial ceiling beams
with stepped hollow stops, and English bond brickwork exposed in chimney
breast. Tiled and boarded timberframed infill over carriageway on S.
Carriageway leads to irregular yard with single storey C18/C19 timberframed
outbuildings running from the crosswing along the N and E sides. Deeds
record it as a beerhouse from 1770-1886. Picturesque.


Listing NGR: TL4844214778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.