This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0525 / 51°3'8"N
Longitude: -2.7241 / 2°43'26"W
OS Eastings: 349345
OS Northings: 128372
OS Grid: ST493283
Mapcode National: GBR MK.FTZW
Mapcode Global: FRA 565B.QKL
Entry Name: The Old Parsonage
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 263020
Location: Somerton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Somerton
Built-Up Area: Somerton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST42NE SOMERTON CP PARSONAGE HILL (East side)
4/212 The Old Parsonage
Detached House. Early C17. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped gables
having ornamented finials; no front chimney stacks. Two storeys with attics; west elevation of 6 bays. Hollow chamfer
mullioned windows with separate labels; bay 1 and 2 have 4 lights below and 3 lights above; bay 3 has 4 lights both
levels; bay 5 has two 3 lights; bay 6 has an angled bay with a single 3 light below and a 1+4+1 light above, under a
moulded coping masking a flat roof: bay 4 has a projecting porch, with moulded pointed segmental arch with square
label, with 3 light window over, above which is a balustered parapet with centre square panel with cross motif and
small segmental pediment: left of bay 1 a cambered arched doorway with label. Extensions to rear of earlier C20.
Entrance through C17 door; stair incorporates C17 balusters; next room north has C17 panelling said to come from
Medwyn, Broad Street (qv), but the cambered arched fireplace and Carolingian overmantel appear original; further
cambered arch fireplaces; circular stair in north East corner, and traces of another alongside hall fireplace;
otherwise much modified. Apparently built or substantialy modifield by Thomas Preene, 'within 4 years of 1619'. (VCH,
Volume III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4934528372
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings