History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lyndon, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.63 / 52°37'47"N

Longitude: -0.6609 / 0°39'39"W

OS Eastings: 490733

OS Northings: 304421

OS Grid: SK907044

Mapcode National: GBR DTL.1RM

Mapcode Global: WHGM0.T5H4

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186990

Location: Lyndon, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Lyndon

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Lyndon St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Upper Hambleton

Listing Text

LYNDON
SK 90 SW CHURCH ROAD (South Side)

6/151 Church of St. Martin

14.6.54

GV II*

Church. C13-14, much restored 1866. Coursed rubble stone with quoins
and stone dressings and Collyweston slate and leaded roofs. Stone coped
gables and parapet to nave. W tower, nave aisles, chancel, N chancel
organ chamber, and S porch. C14/C15 tower of 3 stages. Plinth, W window
with C19 stained glass, 4 2-light bell openings with transom and hood
moulds, and battlements. Inside, a C13 coffin slab in floor of tower
and double chamfered nave arch, the inner arch on corbels. Hood mould
and label stops. Both nave arcades of 2 bays, C13/early C14, octagonal
piers, double chamfered arches, with hood moulds and single central head
stop either side. Clerestory with 3 C19 windows either side and C19 roof.
N aisle has 3 C19 windows, opening to organ chamber and remains of stair
to rood loft. Organ chamber probably C19. Chancel mainly C19 with coloured
tile floor, E window and S door. S aisle has C13 door with hood mould
and head stops, and 2 C19 windows. Upper part of S porch C19, lower
probably earlier. C12 font, round becoming square at top, on short
supports, 3 with attached shafts. Reredos (with sgraffito work) and pulpit
of alabaster of 1856. On exterior C18 wall monument on E wall of porch,
and another on S wall of chancel to John Freeman, died 1796, a former
rector.


Listing NGR: SK9073304421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.