History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upton House, and Front Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Seavington St. Mary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9345 / 50°56'4"N

Longitude: -2.8455 / 2°50'43"W

OS Eastings: 340682

OS Northings: 115340

OS Grid: ST406153

Mapcode National: GBR MD.PDWP

Mapcode Global: FRA 46XM.Z48

Entry Name: Upton House, and Front Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177741

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264156

Location: Seavington St. Mary, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Seavington St Mary

Built-Up Area: Seavington St Michael

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
South Petherton

Listing Text

SEAVINGTON ST MARY CP UPTON LANE (East side)
ST41NW
SEAVINGTON ABBOTS
2/72 Upton House, and front boundary
railings
4.2.58

GV II

Detached farmhouse. Circa 1700. Modified and extended in C19. Ham stone near-ashlar; clay pantiled roof between stepped
coped gables; brick chimney sticks. Two storeys with attic; 7 bays, of which bays 1 to 3 are apparently later. Casement
windows with horizontal bars, 3-light to bay 1 and upper bays 2 and 3; below bays 2 and 3 a 4-light, thereafter all
2-light; continuous labels to both levels bays 4 to 7, the lower being stepped up over each opening: to lower bay 3 a
wide 6-panel door of Regency pattern hung in heavy frame, protected by an open timber porch with 2 rudimentary Doric
stone columns and a Welsh slated pitched roof. Further casements on south gable, the upper with hood and an iron-framed
opening light, also attic window with hood. Leanto extension at rear. Interior not seen. About 2 metres west of house,
with returns to porch and to south-west corner of house, a low stone kerb with cast-iron railings about one metre high
having acanthus bud tops, with arch-braced standards and matching side gates adjacent to porch, all adding to the
setting of the house and of the streetscene.


Listing NGR: ST4068215340

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.