History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Normanton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6462 / 52°38'46"N

Longitude: -0.6231 / 0°37'23"W

OS Eastings: 493257

OS Northings: 306277

OS Grid: SK932062

Mapcode National: GBR DTF.597

Mapcode Global: WHGLV.DRJ6

Entry Name: Former Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177773

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187010

Location: Normanton, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Normanton

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Edith Weston St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Empingham

Listing Text

NORMANTON
SK 90 NW

3/170 Former Church of St. Matthew

14.6.54
II

Former church. 1826-9 and 1911. By Thomas Cundy, Sen. and Jun., and J.B.
Gridley of London. Ashlar and balustraded slate roof. W tower with W
portico and nave with apse. Now entirely filled to half-way up previous
wall height for the purposes of the reservoir which encircles church.
In classical style. Portico, vestibule and tower of 1826-9 with semi-circle
of 4 Ionic columns for the portico and 2 piers and 2 further columns
in antis either side outside the vestibule. Balustrade above vestibule
and tower over. This is open and on circular plan with 4 free-standing
Corinthian columns in NE etc. directions, with Corinthian entablature
over and sloping roof with pine cone finial: the whole close to the towers
at St. John's, Smith Square, Westminster. Nave and apse of 1911, by
Gridley, of 3 leaded windows either side. Stone shouldered architraves
with chamfered lintels and prominent keystones. Windows framed by order
of Ionic pilasters with entablature and balustrade over. Niche on E end.
N doorway with 2 leaved door. Inside, the nave cove has 3 arches with
decorated coffers and the apse simple plasterwork. Pevsner.


Listing NGR: SK9325706277

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.