This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.767 / 52°46'1"N
Longitude: -2.3778 / 2°22'40"W
OS Eastings: 374605
OS Northings: 318892
OS Grid: SJ746188
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z.YQYF
Mapcode Global: WH9CR.FQY2
Entry Name: Old Guildhall
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255362
Location: Newport, Telford and Wrekin, TF10
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: Newport
Built-Up Area: Newport (Telford and Wrekin) B
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Newport St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/09/2012
SJ 7418 NE 2/7
Nos 1 and 3 (Old Guildhall)
Possible Guildhall, later in domestic use, now a shop pair (July 1986). Circa
1400, extended to the north in the later C16, with gable added to the north end
of the street front sometime in the C19. Exposed timber-framing with painted brick
infilling; framing with close-studding and wind-braces. Plain tiled roof with
end stack and ridge stack to right of centre on lateral ridge. C19 ornamental
bargeboards on left crosswing gable. 2 storeys; irregular fenestration of 4 windows
on first floor, the outer ones in small square gabled oriel-bays, the inner pair
glazing bar sashes. Central C19 bay on ground floor, canted with glazing bars;
shopfronts on ground floor of crosswings, both with central entrances. Doorway
to right of central ground-floor bay. Bressumer over ground floor of central recess
carved with guilloche and other decoration, and 'PW' and 'William 1615 Grecari'
(probably not related to any building date). Interior: the crosswing to the left
contains evidence that it was built as an open-hall, gable-end to the street.
It originally consisted of four bays, the two end bays floored and the two central
bays open to the roof. Central truss shows evidence of cusped arch-braces. Two
rows of purlins to roof, one close to the apex of the roof, the purlins and principal
rafters chamfered and stopped. Cusped and pierced windbraces between rows of
purlins. This building is listed II* for its rarity as an example of a former
open hall with cusped arch-braced and wind-braced roof, especially considering
its easterly position.
Listing NGR: SJ7460518892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings