History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Appleby Magna, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6854 / 52°41'7"N

Longitude: -1.5354 / 1°32'7"W

OS Eastings: 431502

OS Northings: 309850

OS Grid: SK315098

Mapcode National: GBR 6HP.NN0

Mapcode Global: WHCGT.DR2N

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 24 November 1965

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187892

Location: Appleby Magna, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Appleby Magna

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Appleby Magna and Swepstone with Snarestone and Norton-juxta-Twycross

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Appleby Magna

Listing Text

APPLEBY MAGNA CHURCH STREET
SK 30 NW
(east side)
6/4 Church of St. Michael
24.11.65 II*
GV
Church, stonework mainly C14. Nave of five bays with identical N and S aisles,
N chancel chapel and chancel. tower with angle buttresses with set-offs,
bell-openings, battlements, and recessed spire. Slate roof to chancel, rest
of lead. Windows have reticulated tracery. W door surround rebuilt.
Interior: plaster vaults added and walls stuccoed and painted in 1827.
W gallery, 1837, oak front similar in design to contemporary, complete set
of box pews. Thus also stone font. Remains of early C19 glass in upper
lights of N and S aisle windows. Those of N aisle contain 7 fragments of
C14 stained glass whilst those of S aisle contain medallions copying these.
In chancel double alabaster recumbent tomb of C14. Wall monuments of
C17-C19. E window stained glass signed by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake,
1879. Pulpit dated 1877. Fine set of C19 wall bracket lamps originally
using Colza oil. Pevsner.


Listing NGR: SK3150209850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.