This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2597 / 51°15'34"N
Longitude: -2.6774 / 2°40'38"W
OS Eastings: 352828
OS Northings: 151385
OS Grid: ST528513
Mapcode National: GBR MM.0TRY
Mapcode Global: VH89K.JLYP
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177825
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268099
Location: Priddy, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Priddy
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST55SW PRIDDY CP
6/80 Church of St Lawrence
Anglican Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1881-88. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges
with cruciform finials, lead sheeting roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisle, north and south transepts, south porch, north
and south chancel chapels, west tower. Perpendicular. Three stage tower, diagonal buttresses with offsets; pierced
parapet; bold corner pinnacles, and intermediate pinnacles all renewed 1705; simple 2-light bell chamber windows with
louvres, on south side with plate tracery; 2-light west window, west door. Porch with parapet and coping, gargoyles,
shafted outer door opening, benched inside on flagstone floor, niches for former statuary, shafted stoup. Similar
parapets and copings to porch continuing over transepts and chapels on north and south sidesi 2 and 3-light windows in
a variety of Perpendicular styles, some with square heads, some labels, in chancel early C14 lancet windows. Priests
door to south chapel. Interior plastered on flag stone, wood block and tile floors. C19 roofs, to nave and chancel
wagon, to aisle and chapels panelled lean-to. Aisle with stone bench to wall. North aisle arcade of 2:1 bays, piers to
west of 4-clustered shafts, pier to east broad and chamfered; simple archway between aisle and north chapel. Broad
archways to north and south chancel chapels, the former panelled, the latter shafted; south transept with broad shafted
archway, stone benches. Triple chamfered tower arch without capitals; broad panelled chancel arch. Norman tub font; C19
cover in medieval style. Some C14 corbels carved as heads to nave and aisle. Good C15 rood and parclose screens. C13
grave cover with foliated cross re-used to form rere-arch in the chancel. Remains of niche adjacent to east window.
Unusual C15 stone pulpit, probably formed by the remains of the rood stair. Jacobean altar table, pulpit and chest. Cl9
pews, screen, choir stalls, altar rails, lectern and organ. C18 and C19 memorial tablets to aisle. Incised Commandments
adjacent to east window. Under tower a plaque marking restoration in 1705. Framed C15 altar frontal. (Pevsner,
Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5282551386
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings