History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thistleton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7517 / 52°45'6"N

Longitude: -0.6482 / 0°38'53"W

OS Eastings: 491336

OS Northings: 317976

OS Grid: SK913179

Mapcode National: GBR DS1.JY0

Mapcode Global: WHGLG.03M9

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177828

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186711

Location: Thistleton, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Thistleton

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Thistleton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
South Witham

Listing Text

THISTLETON

SK 91 NW MAIN STREET (North side)

3/141 Church of St. Nicholas

14.6.54

GV II*

Church with C14 tower and rest mostly of 1879. Ashlar with Collyweston
slate roof and stone coped gable. W tower, nave and chancel. W tower
of 3 stages with plinth, clasping buttresses, 4 bell openings with hood
moulds, corner gargoyles, battlements, and pinnacles with crockets. W
window with hood mould and label stops and small W door beneath. Staircase
door within. W arch to nave with double chamfer, one hollow, the other
dying into curved responds. Nave with shallow curved boarded roof. 3
S windows with Curvilinear type tracery and S door. S porch of stone
with gable and wooden open work. Single similar N window. Stone floor
with diamond pattern of narrow black tiles. Chancel with curved apse
within, polygonal without. Boarded roof of cusped section the beams
producing square panels. East rose window with 2 further windows either
side. In between and either side 4 terracotta statues of saints in gabled
niches. Signed by M. Raggi, 1879. Also, almost certainly by him, a terracotta
relief of The Entombment over the altar. Minton tiled floor and C19
stained glass overall in Church. Stone pulpit reached from chancel through
doorway. Foliated gable over. Contemporary font and open carved oak
pews. Outside around apse a moulded band rises over windows and a rich
ball flower and foliage frieze with gargoyles. Door to N organ vestry.
N wall close to rear wall of Old Rectory (q.v.) with which Church forms
notable group.


Listing NGR: SK9133617976

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.