This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.728 / 52°43'40"N
Longitude: 1.3617 / 1°21'41"E
OS Eastings: 627085
OS Northings: 319785
OS Grid: TG270197
Mapcode National: GBR WGH.WM3
Mapcode Global: WHMT2.WPLH
Entry Name: Old School House, Including Gate and Railings
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Last Amended: 16 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228146
Location: Coltishall, Broadland, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: Coltishall
Built-Up Area: Coltishall
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Coltishall with Great Hautbois
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2619 COLTISHALL CHURCH STREET (north)
8/13 Old School House,
10.5.61 including Gate and
listed as School
Former Free School and master's house, c.1720, of red brick and 'French'
pantiles. 2 storeys and attics with single storey outshut at rear. Facade
of 5 bays, with central raised and fielded 6 panel door with fanlight. C19
sash windows in original openings with gauged brick arches to ground floor.
Rendered plinth, brick platband at first floor level. Moulded timber-eaves.
Parapet gables with moulded brick kneelers and brick tumbling in. Gable
stacks. 3 dormers with 2-light casement windows with wrought iron lights.
The outer dormers have pedimented gables, the central dormer has a semi-
circular head. All have moulded timber verges. Interior mainly of c.1875.
Most doors early C18 raised and fielded 2 panel type. Dining room fireplace,
re-located from first floor in late C20, with lugged timber surround,
pulvinated frieze and dentilled cornice possibly c.1740. Staggered butt purlin
roof with tapered tenons. Late C19 forecourt railings on dwarf brick wall,
cast iron columnar gate posts with finials and wrought iron gate with over-
throw. Former "Free School" built by the parish for the education of 10 poor
children in consequence of "Chapman's Charity" of 1718. Later known as the
endowed school. Converted to schoolmasters house c.1875 when amalgamated
with the nearby National School. Further Report of the Commissioners (County
of Norfolk) History of Horstead and Stanninghall. P. Millican.
Listing NGR: TG2708519785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings