This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7103 / 52°42'36"N
Longitude: -1.18 / 1°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 455494
OS Northings: 312826
OS Grid: SK554128
Mapcode National: GBR 8LM.2GN
Mapcode Global: WHDJ3.V48K
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 1 June 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189143
Location: Swithland, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Swithland
Built-Up Area: Swithland
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Swithland St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SWITHLAND MAIN STREET
SK 51 SE
Church of St. Leonard
Church of C13 and later. Granite and slate rubble stone with Swithland
slate roof. W. tower of 3 stages, nave, N. porch, S. aisle with E. porch,
and chancel. Lower part of tower C13, upper Perp with 2 W. clasping
buttresses, small C19 W. door, original 1-light above, several slits, 4
restored 2-light bell openings and restored crocketted pinnacles and
battlements. 2 storey C19 stair turret on S. side. Nave has C19 N.
porch and C13 arcades originally similar but N., now blocked, was
heightened later in Century. N.W. arch remains similar to S. arcade.
Now blocked it leads to N. porch. Arcades of 4 bays, S. has circular
piers and abaci supporting double chamfered arches. 3 bull's-eyes
windows above. ½ bull's eye remains abutting first of higher N. arcade
blocked arches. These similar to S. Upper part of Nave C16/17 timber
framing in 4 bays. Wall pieces and curved braces from renewed stone
corbels support collar and cranked tie beam trusses with lower angle
struts. Curved wind braces to single purlins. Heavily restored
chancel. Arch double chamfered, one dying into corbels. 2 C19
flat-headed 2-lights either side with C19 E. window of Geometric type
tracery. Stained glass of 1867. Restored, partly renewed, single
purlin roof with wall pieces and curved braces supporting collar beams,
thence king struts. Wrought-iron alter rail. S. aisle built as
Danvers Chapel in 1727. 4 bay double purlin king post tie beam truss
roof with angle struts to purlins (upper from king post). Date on E.
tie beam. C19 E. porch. 3 C19 S. windows of Geometric type tracery.
Stained glass of 1864 (Heygate Memorial) in SSW, otherwise 2 heraldic
glass lunettes, one dated 1849. 1 C18 half round window remains with
W. window blocked. 6 hatchments and helmet, sword and 2 metal gauntlets.
C17 and C18 slate and brass monuments and pedigree of Danvers Bulter
family, including outstanding example of mid C18 to children to Sir
John Danvers, 'a tour de force of the slate workers' (Pevsner). Mid C15
brass; organ originally by John Snetzler, of London, 1765, with Gothic
pinnacled front; C18 white marble font; remains of possibly C17 carving
in some pew backs. On N. wall C18 wall monument and 2 C19 Curvilinear
type tracery windows. Triple chamfered W. arch with small round arched
1-light above and C19 stained glass in small W. window.
Listing NGR: SK5549412826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings