History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Potters Marston, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5626 / 52°33'45"N

Longitude: -1.2665 / 1°15'59"W

OS Eastings: 449821

OS Northings: 296338

OS Grid: SP498963

Mapcode National: GBR 7LX.BMC

Mapcode Global: WHDJN.JV49

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177892

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189018

Location: Potters Marston, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Potters Marston

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Barwell St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Elmesthorpe

Listing Text

POTTERS MARSTON off PINGLE LANE
SP 49 NE (east side)


1/28 Church of St. Mary

7.10.57 II


Parish church. Possibly C16. Restored 1908, and further
restored and the windows renewed, 1930. Random granite rubble
with dressed stone quoins and Swithland slate roof. Nave and
chancel under continuous roof, 2 bays. South side has to left, a
C19 plank door with stone jambs and heavy lintel, and to the
east, a 3 light mullioned window with chamfered and rebated
reveal. North side has 2 two light mullioned windows. East end
has a 5 light mullioned casement. All these windows have leaded
glazing. Remains of coped east gable. Attached to the east end,
a C19 cast iron railing and gate enclosing 5 slate headstones,
mid C18, to the Boothby family of Marston Hall. Plastered
interior has a mid C19 matchboard dado and a C16 kingpost roof
with struts and double purlins. Fittings include a wineglass-
shaped memorial font with lattice patterend bowl inscribed 'J S
1918-1945', an altar table, 1945, an octagonal oak pulpit,
restored in 1950, and C19 wooden lectern, desk and chairs.
Carved wooden gradine, 1911, and small C20 oak chest. Memorials
include slate tablets, 1712, 1724 and 1737 to the Boothby family,
and a brass altar cross, 1909.


Listing NGR: SP4982196338

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.