History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Uppingham School Hall and Classrooms

A Grade II Listed Building in Uppingham, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.588 / 52°35'16"N

Longitude: -0.7241 / 0°43'26"W

OS Eastings: 486539

OS Northings: 299670

OS Grid: SP865996

Mapcode National: GBR CSK.PRX

Mapcode Global: WHFL1.V6DV

Entry Name: Uppingham School Hall and Classrooms

Listing Date: 15 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186749

Location: Uppingham, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Uppingham

Built-Up Area: Uppingham

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Uppingham

Listing Text

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM
4/12
Uppingham School, Hall
and Classrooms
GV
II


Hall and classrooms, 1923 by Ernest and W E Newton. Hall divided horizontally
c.1970. Of squared stone with slate roofs and coped gables, with stack at east end of
classrooms. L-plan with hall running north-south and classrooms east-west. Hall:
late C16 in style, borrowing motifs from Kirby Hall. West front of 7 bays divided by
giant order. Plinth, entablature, supporting curly paw-like brackets and parapet.
Canted full-length bay windows to left of 9 lights with 5 transoms balanced to right
by rectangular projection with 4-light window with king mullion and 3 transoms.
Similar windows to central 5 bays, with c.1970 mullioned windows to alternate bays
below, lighting newly-created lower floor. North and south ends framed by octagonal
turrets with leaded onion domes. South end has 3 round-headed entrance arches
enclosing double doors with traceried fanlights over. Four-light window with king
mullion and transom above. Classrooms: of 3 storeys. South front has 5 gables and
alternating rhythm of 5-light windows with mullions and transom, and 2-light windows.
String course between storeys. Canted porch at west end with datestone. Four-centred
arched doorway at east end, with inscription above: "These stones taken from the
original building mark the site of The Lodge 1854-1921". North front very austere
with smaller windows lighting corridor (expressed in west gable end): 3-light with
hood moulds to ground floor, croisé to first floor. Five hipped dormers.


Listing NGR: SP8653999670

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.