History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maperton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maperton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0341 / 51°2'2"N

Longitude: -2.4695 / 2°28'10"W

OS Eastings: 367172

OS Northings: 126190

OS Grid: ST671261

Mapcode National: GBR MX.H055

Mapcode Global: FRA 56QD.1Q3

Entry Name: Maperton House

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Last Amended: 18 March 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1177942

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262066

Location: Maperton, South Somerset, Somerset, BA9

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Maperton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
North Cheriton

Listing Text

MAPERTON CP
ST62NE MAPERTON VILLAGE
4/133
Maperton House
(previously listed as Manor House)
24.3.61

GV II*

Large detached house, on site of manor house. Mostly 1802 and 1876, but incorporating
some C18 fragments. Ham stone ashlar; plain clay tile roofs behind parapets, some coped
gables with ball finials; stone chimney stacks. 'L' plan with additions; 2 storeys with
attics and 3 storeys. West entrance elevation of 6 bays; bays 1 and 2 of 3 storeys, with
separate gables, upper part of 1876 date; plain sash windows in ornamental surrounds to
bay 1 and bay 2 gable; remaining windows this side 12-pane sashes, paired to lower bay
2; bays 5 and 6 project for 2 bays, the end of bay 5 being angled, and contains an open
porch with Doric columns in antis protecting heavy studded and panelled doors; bay 6
has a full height angled bay window with single sash each level each face. South
elevation of 7 bays, of which the centre bay is 3-storey; plinth, pilasters to corner
and flanking centre bay, cornice, plain parapet with urns over pilasters, probably all
1802; 12-pane sash windows in architraves, with added sidelights to centre bay; to
ground floor centre bay are French doors set under a C19 open iron latticework porch
with lead-covered bell-hip roof; to south-east corner a 1876 single-storey orangery,
built on a curve, and recently restored. At east end of north elevation, ground floor
level, are two 4-light hollow-chamfer mullioned windows of late C18, and inside one
doorway corresponds with this date. Many good early C19 features inside the house, which
has been little altered, except by a late C20 addition on east side and demolition of
some work on north side.


Listing NGR: ST6717226190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.