This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6048 / 52°36'17"N
Longitude: -1.4785 / 1°28'42"W
OS Eastings: 435415
OS Northings: 300910
OS Grid: SK354009
Mapcode National: GBR 6JQ.R0J
Mapcode Global: WHDJC.8S6F
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 7 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177977
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188097
Location: Sheepy, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV13
District: Hinckley and Bosworth
Civil Parish: Sheepy
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Sheepy with Ratcliffe Culey Sibson, Orton-on-the-Hill and Twycross
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 30 SE SHEEPY MAIN STREET
(north side), Sibson
1789/4/101 Church of St Botolph
Church. Partly late C13-early C14, but mostly at 1726, restored in 1872. Partly coursed and squared limestone, partly brick with stone dressings. Plain tiled roof West tower entirely of 1726: 3 stages of ashlar with moulded cornice and parapet with urn finials at angles. West door in rusticated architrave, and round arched Y-traceried window in 2nd stage. Oculus in 3rd stage over door, and also in lower stage to north and south. Nave is brick with stone dressings. The 3 roundheaded windows were given geometric tracery in 1872. Parapet. Fabric of chancel is medieval, and the windows have interesting tracery of c1300. One C15 window of31ights south, and a small priests door. Inside, wide nave with queen post roof with collar and bracing. Chancel arch is double chamfered with semi octagonal responds. Chancel screen of1910, tripartite with ogee tracery, in simple, stripped down lines. In the chancel, blocked low-side window to south, and sedilia with cylindrical shafts with ring moulding. Fittings: pews made up from C18 box pews in 1898. Stained glass in chancel SE and NE windows, depicts the Light of the World, the Good Shepherd and Saints Paul and Barnabus in medieval style. In the chancel, stone recumbent effigy of a man holding his heart in his hands, beneath a canopy and a brass, 1532, to John Moore, a priest, with huge outstretched hands and double curved scrolls of text reaching up to a small Christ figure, also with open arms, seated on a rainbow above.
Listing NGR: SK3541500910
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.