History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Cow House Approximately 27 Metres to South of Castle Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8038 / 52°48'13"N

Longitude: -2.6542 / 2°39'15"W

OS Eastings: 355990

OS Northings: 323121

OS Grid: SJ559231

Mapcode National: GBR 7M.WHR6

Mapcode Global: WH9CF.6SBC

Entry Name: Barn and Cow House Approximately 27 Metres to South of Castle Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178056

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260063

Location: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhu

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Moreton Corbet St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Shawbury

Listing Text

SJ 52 SE MORETON CORBET C.P. MORETON CORBET
and SJ 5623-5723

9/69 and Barn and cow house
18/69 approx. 27 metres
- to south of Castle
Farmhouse

- II

Barn and cow house. Probably late C16 with alterations and additions
dated 1863. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings;
plain tile roof. Barn and attached cow houses aligned approximately
east-west. One storey and loft. C19 dentil brick eaves cornice, and
dentil brick verge to C19 addition. South side: 4 loft openings, first
and third from right with chamfered reveals. Ground-floor chamfered
Tudor-arched stone doorway to right with partly blocked 2-light stone
chamfered-mullioned window to left; pair of boarded barn doors off-
centre to left with segmental-headed stable door to right and slatted
window to left. C19 addition to left with 2-light segmental-headed
windows flanking boarded door on each floor. Left-hand gable end with
datestone inscribed: "VRC/1863". One-storey block adjoining to left
with segmental-headed window to right and 2 segmental-headed
boarded doors to left. Rear of barn with tall vertical vents to left
and 4 tiers of diamond-pattern vents to right. The C16 parts of these
buildings were probably formerly associated with the neighbouring Moreton
Corbet Castle (q.v.) which was substantially enlarged c.1579. Castle
Farmhouse is not included on this list.


Listing NGR: SJ5599023121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.