This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3072 / 51°18'25"N
Longitude: -0.1904 / 0°11'25"W
OS Eastings: 526233
OS Northings: 158009
OS Grid: TQ262580
Mapcode National: GBR CP.JP7
Mapcode Global: VHGRX.ND6R
Entry Name: Queen Elizabeth Hospital (Comprising Main Block and Attached Former Nurses Home and Former Wards)
Listing Date: 29 September 1983
Last Amended: 6 September 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289514
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, SM7
District: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Kingswood with Burgh Heath
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Banstead
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
In the entry for:
TQ 25 NE HOLLY LANE
4/11 Banstead Wood House
(Queen Elizabeth Hospital
for Sick Children)
The entry shall be amended to read:-
TQ 25 NE BANSTEAD HOLLY LANE
4/11 Queen Elizabeth Hospital
(comprising main block
29.9.83 and attached former
nurses home and former
House now hospital. 1937-9 by H S Goodhart-Rendel incorporating remains of
house (Banstead Wood) by R Norman Shaw, 1884-90, extensively damaged by fire
1939. Red brick in English bond to ground floor; upper floors tile hung, the
main block with much fish-scale tile. Ward block steel framed with concrete
panels and brick cladding. Plain tile roofs. Main block of 2 storeys with
attic and partial basement has 8-bay garden elevation; to its right a corridor
links main block to 3-storey, 25-bay former ward block; to its rear left, return
range links main block to former nurses' home which is of butterfly plan,
forming corner of rear courtyard, of 3 storeys with attic and 11 first floor
windows on courtyard elevation. Garden elevation: Main block: windows are
wood-framed with moulded mullions and transoms and leaded casements; bays 1-5,
set forward under 3 oversailing gables, have 2-storey canted bay windows to
alternate bays; bays 6 and 7, set back, have a gabled dormer and large set-back
gable; bay 8 is set in line but is gabled and has a 2-storey canted bay windows;
tall cross-ridge stacks with arched panels. Single-storey flat-roofed former
kitchen block on right. Further right, ward block has: each floor set back from
that below, the 2nd floor less wide (21 bays) with balcony rails to upper
floors; the wards were originally open-fronted but in the 1940s the existing
metal-framed doors and windows were inserted; rising out of the rear roof slope
are the hipped roofs of 3 rear wings; water tower at right end, to rear, has
concrete bands, tile-hung stair tower to rear left, and hipped roof with
gablets. Left return range: main block is in same style as garden elevation,
having 3 bays under 2 oversailing gables on right of lateral stack with lower
projecting bay on right. Further left is a lower, 1-storey with attic, 2-bay
block which has half-timbered gables with pebble-dashed infill and which is
probably part of the original Shaw house. To far left is former nurses' home
which has panelled door on right, metal casement windows, and gabled dormers.
Courtyard elevation of former nurses' home has entry at right end and 3rd floor
cornice which rises under pent roof to 3 wide gables (one at left end, 2 at right
end). Courtyard elevation of main block has: entrance bay with decorative ashlar
doorcase to panelled, arched, door, the cornice on fluted columns and supporting
2-storey canted bay window; on left, outskirt with panelled door and wide window;
various gabled dormers and tall ribbed stacks; reused rainwater heads dated 1884.
The Shaw house was built for the Garton family. Goodhard-Rendel's design centred
upon this building, which was to become the administrative block, but the original
house was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1939 and was subsequently rebuilt
to a design by Goodhard-Rendel. Originally there was to be second ward block
(further to right) and another nurses' home to complete the rear courtyard,
but work was interrupted by war and these were never built.
'The Princess Elizabeth of York Hospital for Children, Banstead Wood', The Architect
and Building News, January 28, 1938, pp 131-3.
'The Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children, Banstead Wood, Surrey', The Builder,
March 26, 1948, pp 361-5.
TQ 25NE HOLLY LANE
4/11 (South Side)
Banstead Wood House
Hospital for Sick
House now Hospital. 1884-1890 by R Norman-Shaw with extensive later additions.
Original house brick and tile hung with plain tile roofs and large star-shaped
stocks. 2 storeys and attic under gabled dormers. Asymmetrical, with projecting wing
of 2 bays to the left, having wood mullion and tramsom windows with leaded lights.
Tile hung dormer in re-entrant angle linking with right hand 3 bay wing; mullioned
windows with leaded lights. 3 storey gable front on right hand end with two windows
in angle bay rising through two storeys over main entrance; Doric portico to door,
fluted half columns with dentilled cornices, moulded and rusticated door arch, 6 panel
door with diamond patterning and studs.
Listing NGR: TQ2623358009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings