History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Spaxton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1143 / 51°6'51"N

Longitude: -3.1532 / 3°9'11"W

OS Eastings: 319371

OS Northings: 135632

OS Grid: ST193356

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.B0Z1

Mapcode Global: VH6H5.98C3

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178112

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269392

Location: Spaxton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Spaxton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
West Bagborough

Listing Text

ST13NE SPAXTON CP

AISHOLT

1/131 Church of All Saints

29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican church. C14, C15; C16 work; late C19 restoration. Random rubble, slate roofs, coped verges with finials. Nave,
chancel with north vestry, south aisle with south porch, west tower. Perpendicular. Embattled 2- stage tower with
diagonal buttresses, stair turret, 2-light bell- chamber windows; clock; 3-light west window. Three bay nave, 2 and
3-light square-headed windows. Gabled 2-bay aisle, diagonal buttresses, 2-light pointed head window, 3-light
square-headed window. Single bay chancel, C19 fenestration, 3-light east window. Gabled C19 vestry. Benched porch,
stoup; shafted outer door opening; medieval inner door. Plastered interior on flag floors, chancel with an encaustic
pavement. Ceiled wagon roof to nave; C19 wagon roof to chancel with ribs and bosses; plaster wagon roof to aisle; C19
wagon roof under tower, ribs and bosses. Chancel with moulded corbels; tls two bay arcade to aisle. tl4lCl5 octagonal
font; medieval chest; C14 piscina to chancel; restored C17 hatchment; C19 pews, though one earlier bench end survives
at west end; C19 pulpit and choir stalls; 2 charity plaques by the tower arch. C17 memorial slabs to nave floor; 2 C19
wall monuments by good of Bristol and Reeves of Bath; some C20 brass plaques. Fragments of C15 glass to west window,
C19 stained glass. (Pevsner N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST1937135632

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.