History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 1 and Attached Former Chapel to Right

A Grade II Listed Building in Spaxton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1266 / 51°7'35"N

Longitude: -3.0977 / 3°5'51"W

OS Eastings: 323276

OS Northings: 136941

OS Grid: ST232369

Mapcode National: GBR M1.991Q

Mapcode Global: VH7DG.8Y67

Entry Name: No 1 and Attached Former Chapel to Right

Listing Date: 9 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178130

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269397

Location: Spaxton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Spaxton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Enmore

Listing Text

ST23NW SPAXTON CP BARFORD CLOSE (North side)
FOUR FORKS

2/135 No. 1; and attached former chapel
to right

II

House and attached former chapel to right, now workshop. 1846 by William Cobbe, forming part of the Agapemone for
Reverend H. J. Prince; community disbanded 1958. Random rubble, slate roofs, some coped verges, 2 tall brick stacks and
an ashlar stack. L-shaped frontage. House to left in Tudoresque style; 2 storeys, 3 bays, to each side a crenellated
canted 2 storey ashlar bay window of 1:3:1 lights on each floor. Between the bays a freestone panel with shield.
Central door opening in a chamfered dressed stone surround with a stopped label, French windows, transomlight. Chapel
at right angles to right of house; buttressed; lancets with casements, leaded lights; door opening to roadside in
single storey porch with diagonal buttresses, terminating as pinnacles, gable with finial, moulded 4-centred arch door
opening, paired studded doors, fanlight with stained glass. Further door opening in the angle between the house and
chapel, embattled single storey porch with buttresses, 4- centred arch door opening in a moulded surround, paired
half-glazed doors, transomlight. Stone lion in relief set over. The Agapemone was infamous in the late C19 because of
the activities and claims of Rev. H. J. Prince, a self-styled messiah. (Mander C., The Reverend Prince and his Abode of
Love, 1976).


Listing NGR: ST2327636941

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.