History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shenton Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Sutton Cheney, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5991 / 52°35'56"N

Longitude: -1.4296 / 1°25'46"W

OS Eastings: 438730

OS Northings: 300297

OS Grid: SK387002

Mapcode National: GBR 6JZ.5C5

Mapcode Global: WHDJD.0XJV

Entry Name: Shenton Hall

Listing Date: 7 November 1966

Last Amended: 13 October 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178135

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188114

Location: Sutton Cheney, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV13

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Sutton Cheney

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Sheepy with Ratcliffe Culey Sibson, Orton-on-the-Hill and Twycross

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Sibson

Listing Text

SUTTON CHENEY
SK30 SE MAIN STREET, SHENTON
(South East Side)

4/119 Shenton Hall
7.11.66 (formerly listed as Shenton Hall,
Bosworth Road)

GV II*

House. Circa 1620 but doubled in size in the mid C19, by the addition of a
rear range. Brick with stone dressings and plain tiled roof. Entrance front
of three storeys and six bays, asymmetrical. The outer bays are segmental
full height bay windows set beneath coped gables, and the central bay is a
full height canted bay window which contains the former doorway, now a
window. Four light mullioned and transomed windows on each floor to its left,
along with a side wall stack. Windows throughout have ovolo mouldings to
their mullions and transoms, but many panes are blind. High parapet runs
between the outer gables. Main entrance now in eastern elevation in full
height bay, part of the Victorian additions, in a Jacobean style with
segmentally arched doorway and strapwork relief decoration above. Victorian
range echoes the style of the original, but on a bigger scale, using large
mullioned and transomed windows, departing from the domestic scale only with a
machicolated tower at the western angle. Inside one deeply moulded beam
carries the inscription "This house was built by me, William Wollaston,
A.D.1629", and there is one panelled room of this date. A heavy baronial
style characterises the Victorian additions, though one fire place has been
imported from elsewhere, a massive carved wood surround and overmantle,
possibly C17 Spanish. Stable courtyard adjoins house to west, mid C19, brick
with plain tiled roofs, coped gables and central cupola on street range,
chamfered door and window openings on the inner elevations. Piers to brick
retaining wall separates stable yard from garden and is attached to the house
to the south.


Listing NGR: SK3873000297

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.