This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2461 / 51°14'45"N
Longitude: -0.5279 / 0°31'40"W
OS Eastings: 502847
OS Northings: 150688
OS Grid: TQ028506
Mapcode National: GBR GDQ.Z6N
Mapcode Global: VHFVG.SYS3
Entry Name: The Horse and Groom Public House
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288909
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Merrow
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Merrow
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05SW GUILDFORD EPSOM ROAD
(South Side) Merrow
2/47 The Horse and Groom
1/5/53 Public House
Public house. Dated 1615 but probably mid C17 incorporating earlier fragments;
remodelled in early C19. Timber framed, exposed in close-stud pattern with
herringbone brick infilling on left hand return front. Whitewashed roughcast
cladding on remainder with brick and flint stacks and C20 plain tiled roof. Two
storeys and attics in triple gabled front over cellars. Corbelled end stack to
right, smaller stack to left. Fine C17 triple stack with ribbed and diagonally
placed shafts under corbelled, star-shaped tops to rear right of centre. One 3-
light stone-mullioned, diamond-pane leaded attic casement window to each gable.
One 10-light mullioned and transomed, diamond-pane window on each outer gable at
first floor level; square bay window to ground floor left under hipped roof, 10-
light window to ground floor right. Two storey square bay break to centre under
modillioned pediment with date roundel in tympana. One 10-light mullioned and
transomed window on each floor below. Half-glazed door to left of centre under
flat hood on brackets, further door to right in half-glazed porch with arched
opening, diamond-pane leaded lights and moulded bargeboards to gable. Single
storey extension to right. Right hand return front:- Jettied gable on brackets;
tile-hung gabled stair vice to rear.
Interior:- Ground-floor originally three rooms; large chamfered bridging joist
one end on moulded brackets. Original newel post, some 8 metres high, to stair
remains. Staggered butt purlin roof.
Listing NGR: TQ0284750688
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings