This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9697 / 52°58'11"N
Longitude: -2.6845 / 2°41'4"W
OS Eastings: 354127
OS Northings: 341593
OS Grid: SJ541415
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JVVS
Mapcode Global: WH89H.QMW6
Entry Name: 40 and 42, High Street
Listing Date: 6 February 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260656
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch (Shropshire)
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P.
HIGH STREET (south-west side)
Nos. 40 and 42
Shop and hotel, now a pair of shops. 1904, by William Webb of Whitchurch.
Red brick; cast-iron facade with red brick parapet. Roof not visible
behind parapet. Front range, with 2 long ranges at right angles to rear.
3 storeys. Cast-iron facade of 4:2:3 bays, divided by panelled square
piers. Round-arched arcaded first floor with columns and pierced
spandrels; second-floor with columns and pierced spandrels, partly
obscured by deep fascia beam. Floors divided by pierced cast-iron
frieze. Parapet with moulded sandstone coping. Brick stack off centre
to right. Plate-glass sashes to first and second floors. Cast-iron
shop-front to left with 2 plate glass windows and pair of cast-iron columns
flanking central half-glazed door. C20 shop-front to right, probably
replacing entrance to former hotel. Deep C20 fascias. Central carriage
entrance flanked by square cast-iron piers. Pair of ranges at rear.
2-storey left-hand range of 8 bays, divided by pilaster strips,with first-floor
segmental-headed 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows and blocked
large ground-floor segmental-headed windows. Right-hand range of 3
storeys; windows with stone cills and lintels. Passageway closed off at
far end by 2-storey range with carriageway beneath. Some sources (B.O.E.)
give the date of this building as 1901-2. Joyce's, the famous Whitchurch
clockmakers,formerly occupied this site. It was taken over c.1904 by
W.C. Birchall, the ironmonger, who commissioned the present building.
Birchall's occupied the left-hand part and the Alexandra Temperance Hotel
occupied the right-hand part, with a restaurant on the ground floor at the
front and with accommodation and billiard rooms above. The iron facade
was cast at McFarlane's works in Glasgow. B.O.E., p. 314; Whitchurch
Area Archaeological Group, Whitchurch Rembered, ills. 13 and 14.
Listing NGR: SJ5412741593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings