This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3882 / 51°23'17"N
Longitude: -0.4536 / 0°27'12"W
OS Eastings: 507700
OS Northings: 166593
OS Grid: TQ077665
Mapcode National: GBR 29.BBK
Mapcode Global: VHFTY.3C2P
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 11 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1178304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287987
Location: Spelthorne, Surrey, TW17
Local Authority Ward: Shepperton Town
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Shepperton
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 06NE SUNBURY-ON-THAMES, FORMER UD CHURCH SQUARE
3/16 Church of
11/9/51 St. Nicholas
Church. Rebuilt in circa 1600 on ruins of older building and employing much old
material. Tower added in 1710, restored in C19 with vestry added in 1930's.
Sandstone and flint chequerwork rubble in south wall. Coved ashlar eaves. Flint
rubble plinths and north walls, dun coloured brick vestries. Plain tiled roofs.
Tower to west end with nave and chancel to east, substantial transepts and vestry
to south east. Two stage tower, with stone and tile coping to battlements.
Diagonal offset angle buttresses to lower stage on west face. Plat band between
stages. 1 step,brick-chamfered surround to each opening in each face of upper
stage with louvred openings under round arched head. Renewed triangular-head
leaded window below on west face. Studded panelled double doors in chamfered and
moulded surround with label over and foliage decoration in the spandrels. Further
panelled pointed head door in south side approached up a flight of external stairs
with wrought iron railings. Late Perpendicular style windows to nave, one
rectangular diamond-pane window on south and larger 2-light, cambered-head windows
to right. Buttresses to west end of nave, one 2-light window to north under flat
head and in chamfered surround. External stairs to C19 door on first floor of
north transept providing access to gallery inside. Five-light, North transept
window with hood moulding; two-light window in north side of chancel,larger three-
light window over tile sill to East. Brick vestry to south side of chancel with
wood-framed leaded casement fenestration. Five-light Perpendicular window to
south transept. Blocked door to south side nave by west buttress, with hood
mould and 4-centre arch.
Interior:- Glazed-in lower stage with early C19 gallery, bearing the Royal Arms
of 1801-1816, across the front. C19 pews and panelled piers. Ribbed and panelled
vaulted roof over nave on moulded wall plates. Three-quarter round piers on
octagonal pedestals and with octagonal caps and two-step,chamfered order to
transepts. Manor house pew in west side of north transept served by external
stair and on thin cast-iron pillars of quatrefoil section. Round capital and
octagonal piers to chancel arch; crenellated wall plates with star decorated
panelled roof above in chancel.
Fittings:- C19 reredos with centre gable flanked by finials over carved and
traceried arcades. Timber rood screen across chancel entrance of tall proportions
and with double gates to centre. C19 stone font - octagonal bowl with floral boss
to centre of four panel ribbing on each face, on panelled octagonal stem. Late
C19 pulpit. Monuments:- Early C20 marble and mosaic memorial to Lord Blythswood.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.454.
V.C.H. Middlesex - (1962) Vol. III pp.10-12 & ill opp. p.14.
Listing NGR: TQ0770066593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings