History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ridlington, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6158 / 52°36'57"N

Longitude: -0.7494 / 0°44'57"W

OS Eastings: 484768

OS Northings: 302742

OS Grid: SK847027

Mapcode National: GBR CS4.WYL

Mapcode Global: WHFKV.GHCZ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 November 1955

Last Amended: 5 August 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187513

Location: Ridlington, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Ridlington

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Ridlington St Mary Magdalene and St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Manton

Listing Text

RIDLINGTON CHURCH LANE (West Side)
SK 8402 and SK 8502
3/1
Church of St Mary
and St Andrew (Formerly
listed as Church of
10/11/55 St Mary Magdalene)
II *
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel. C14 tower rebuilt 1903. Rubble, ashlar,
tiled roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, west tower, south porch. Heavily restored
1860. South aisle has 2 Decorated 2-light windows. North aisle has 3:2:3 light
Decorated windows. Nave clerestory has 3 2-light Perpendicular windows on the
north and south walls. Ashlar buttressing and coping. Chancel has one 2-light
one 1-light Perpendicular window in south wall, one 1 light Perpendicular window
in north wall. 4 light Perpendicular east window. South porch. Western tower
with ashlar parapet. 4 2-light bell openings. Interior: arcades,both C13,south
one with circular piers and octagonal abaci, the north one with octagonal piers.
C13 chancel arch. There is a Norman tympanum, not in situ, on the west wall of
the south aisle which is a fragment of the original building. Wall monument
with two kneeling figures to James Harrington dated 1613. Wall mounted collection
of C19 and earlier musical instruments.


Listing NGR: SK8476802742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.