History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3, Saint Marys Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9694 / 52°58'9"N

Longitude: -2.6832 / 2°40'59"W

OS Eastings: 354214

OS Northings: 341551

OS Grid: SJ542415

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JW7K

Mapcode Global: WH89H.RMHH

Entry Name: 3, Saint Marys Street

Listing Date: 1 May 1951

Last Amended: 1 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1178359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260670

Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban

Built-Up Area: Whitchurch (Shropshire)

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

Listing Text

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. SAINT MARY'S STREET
SJ 5441
(south-east side)
8/114 No. 3 (formerlv listed
1.5.51 as West Midlands Savings
Bank)
GV II

Savings Bank, now divided into flats. Dated 1846. Painted sandstone
ashlar, with red brick to rear and sides. Hipped roof with C20 concrete
tiles. In a neo-Classical style. 2 storeys. Moulded plinth, and
interrupted cill string course. Tuscan pilastrade to each floor, that
to ground floor with full entablature and that to first floor with frieze,
moulded cornice and blocking course, and central one-bay triangular
pediment. Integral brick lateral stack to left. 2:1:2 bays with central
break; glazing bar sashes. Central recessed porch with unfluted Ionic
columns in antis, and 3 steps up to pair of half-glazed panelled doors with
rectangular overlight. First-floor frieze inscribed: "INSTITUTED. A.D.
1818" / "BANK FOR SAVINGS" / "ERECTED. A.D. 1846". Deep eaves to sides.


Listing NGR: SJ5421441551

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.